Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jzbv

Heat pump, oil furnace, and electric furnace

jzbv
10 years ago

Hi, I am in southwest Pennsylvania and have a 2-story 2000 sq foot home on top of a 1000 sq foot unfinished basement/garage that only gets residual heat from the furnace down there) with Rheem forced-air oil furnace and 10 SEER central A/C (both 15 seasons old). Due to the SIGNIFICANTLY high cost of oil (paying $3000+ for about 900 gallons to heat our home each winter past few seasons), I am planning to very soon replace the A/C with a heat pump (13 or 14 SEER, or higher). Also considering replacing the furnace with an electric furnace, which is the main decision that is holding me from moving ahead. I had been told over the years to avoid electric, but since oil has increased 6-fold! I believe electric is now in play. I guess I need to somehow calculate the cost for 1. heat pump/less oil/somewhat higher electric bills vs 2. heat pump/electric furnace/no oil/much higher electric bills vs 3. current oil furnace. Gas is not a choice since no gas lines are nearby, otherwise I would have a gas furnace and not be asking these questions. I currently pay 4.99cents/Kwh (plus other non-fixed charges based on consumption is 7.32cents/Kwh) thru Sep 2014, though that will likely go up in the future. Should I or should I not be concerned with big spikes in my electric bill, and also about whether the 2nd floor will be as warm in the winter with a heat pump/electric furnace and as cool in the summer with a heat pump. What brands of equipment are recommended? Advice and/or recommendations, please. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

If you get a heat pump, then there is not an electric furnace per se, but electric auxiliary heat. You can still use the oil as auxiliary heat, if we're talking about currently having forced air and not radiators.

Don't go less than 15 SEER.

The heat pump will cool just as well as a normal AC unit. With the higher SEER, you will use much less electricity.

If you remove the oil furnace, don't forget to add in the extra costs of removing the tank and other items.

I will mention that propane could be considered. But I'll wager that the installation of a new tank plus ongoing costs would be prohibitive. Costs of propane usage are usually at or above electricity costs. But it is there when the power fails.

• jzbv
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback (hope others will reply with more)! OK, I guess that sounds right not to state 'furnace' for electric. We really want to eliminate oil even if it is minimally cost-effective or costs a little more. There would be some peace-of-mind since the furnace is 15yrs old and the tank (and line) is underground and likely 60yrs old. Also skyrocketed price of oil will probably stay or go higher. With all my research thus far I ruled out 13 SEER or lower. One upcoming bid is 14.5 SEER. We will not do propane, so it is heat pump with current oil or new electric. And wouldn't any heating fail with an electrical outage since the fan needs electricity (unless one has a generator)? Also, any advice on recommended brands? I think one guy is going to offer York and Goodman and the other guy Carrier (but there are so many brands out there and I am finding a LOT of unsatisfied reviews).

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

IIRC Pennsylvania has some stringent requirements as to removing in-ground oil storage containers/tanks and piping.

You'll need to factor in these abatement costs as compared to retaining oil as a backup heating source.

• jzbv
    Original Author
    10 years ago

salitdawg, thanks for the reply. I plan to leave the tank underground where it is.

• SaltiDawg
    10 years ago

jzby,

If you no longer will be using the underground tank, I believe you will find you MUST remediate it. I would not be surprised if the Permitting Process will bring this requirement to the fore.