Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stroget_gw

Help with AC quote and selection

Stroget
9 years ago

Hello -

My 30 yr old York system just died and I need it replaced. They are going to replace the outside air conditioner and the air handler and tie into the existing duct work (I have 18 inch flex duct work).

Here is my issue - anything will be better than my existing unit in terms of efficiency, etc. However, I received two quotes, one guy who sells Bryant and one who sells Trane. I have read that Trane is probably better but the quote, based on research, seems outrageous. Here are the quotes:

Trane
XB16 T4TTB6049 with TAM7AOC48 air handler and all nec. wire, pipe, sheetmetal to adapt to existing system--$9215.00.
XL16i 4TTX6048with TAM7AOC48 air handler and all nec. wire, pipe and sheetmetal to adapt to existing system---
$9875.00
XL 18i 4TTX8048 with TAM7AOC42 air handler and all nec. wire, pipe and sheetmetal to adapt to existing system, plus a 2 stage, electronic, programmable thermostat ---$10,385.00, plus permit

Bryant
This seems like the bottom of the line but the guy told me that it is much better than what I have and with older flex duct work the more expensive ones would be a waste of money

Installation of a new cooling system:
1- fan coil Bryant FB4CNF060.
1- Outdoor Condenser Bryant 113ANW060
$4,550

Am I getting ripped off by the Trane guy and would I be fine with the Bryant?

Thanks!

Comments (30)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

What is location?

A little curious here. Trane quote is for 4 ton systems, Bryant is for 5 ton.

What size system are you replacing?

How do you heat and with what type fuel?

Post back.

IMO

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe I have a 4 ton system. York air handler and I think something like an American Air air conditioner.

This is for AC only. I heat my home with hot water radiators and gas furnace.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

The prices on the Trane equipment are very high in my opinion. Did you realize he is proposing a 3.5 ton air handler with the 4 ton 18i?

It is noble that the Bryant guy is trying to save you money, but why is he proposing a 5 ton AC if your duct work is poor? Bad duct work is not going to work with any AC regardless of price. Your duct work will not support a 5 ton AC and is likely to be too big for your house.

How big is your house and where are you located?

Get more quotes. Find a contractor will do a load calculation, do an evaluation of your duct work, and make recommendations on what needs to be fixed.

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the feedback I need! Please keep it coming.

Trane pricing seems outrageous. Crazy he is suggesting a smaller air handler.

My duct work isn't poor. It is actually good. Just happens to be 18 inch flex which some people don't like. Works fine for me.

I have a 4,500 sq foot house built in the 20s. Only the second and third floor have AC. Air draws down to the first floor very nicely. When they 30 yr old system worked, it cooled the house nicely.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

You mean boiler correct?

And your fuel is natural gas?

I would ask for a quote on the following Bryant system.

Preferred 17 4 ton with Preferred VS air handler

Request Bryant Edge Thermidistat

6937111 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS PREFERRED SERIES PURON AC BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 127ANA048****B FV4CN(B,F)005L 1400 1120 48000 13.00 16.50 1 RCU-A-CB 361 Yes

Filter cabinet also if you don't have one.

How much living area for the zone to be served?

Ask dealer why he quoted a 5 ton system.

Where do you live?

Post back with quote.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 13:26

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. Fuel is natural gas.

I live near Philadelphia. Probably 3500 in the living area and I posted other details in a previous post.

Will see what he says.

Thanks!

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Flexible ducts will work as long as they not kinked and all joints are sealed. I assume this is in your attic. Ideally you want ducts with R8 insulation.

I am about hour away from you in central NJ. There must be many good HVAC contractors in your area. You just have to be a little patient in finding one. It is the busy time of the year and the forecast for Philly tomorrow is 97!

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Verify size of existing system.

IMO

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am waiting to hear back on my specs and the quote of what was recommended. Question - is Trane much better than Bryant?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

Bryant is the same equipment as Carrier. Trane, which is the same equipment as American Standard, is considered in the same class as Carrier/Bryant. Both are some of the best equipment on the market.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Not that good when taking that price into consideration. Of course you were quoted low end Bryant.

I would not recommend Trane's XB series. A bit on the noisy side. The Bryant system I recommended is close to the two other Trane systems and I would not turn around for the difference.

Still need to verify what size is existing.

IMO

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a 4 ton air conditioner with a 5 ton air handler (30 yrs ago).

The Bryant guy said he would be happy to sell me the preferred or evolution but that he would need to check my flexible duct work to see if it made sense.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Check flexible duct to see if it made sense?

What doesn't make sense is this nonsense from the Bryant dealer.

What the heck is he talking about?

If the flex duct is OK for the cheap low end Mdl 113, then it should be OK for the Preferred 17 Mdl 127. And BTW, what reason did he give for quoting a 5 ton when you have a 4 ton. This deserves a reply as well.

IMO

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He quoted me a 4 ton not a 5 ton. I checked with him on that. From my perspective, am I gaining a lot more by moving up to a Bryant Preferred vs staying with the Legacy? The Legacy is obviously better than what I have. What am I missing? What would I gain by having the preferred or evolution?

And I am still shocked as to why the Trane guy is sooo expensive.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The Bryant Mdl number for the 113 quoted is a 5 ton...

Installation of a new cooling system:
    1- fan coil Bryant FB4CNF060.
    1- Outdoor Condenser Bryant 113ANW060
    $4,550

The 127 Preferred 17 is a 2 stage condenser and is similar to the two other Trane quotes. That is the reason I suggested it. The condenser has full coil protection. I would not have the 113. You might want a quote on both the 123 and 126 models. Nice single stage models with different SEER ratings. You want a var speed air handler regardless, same as I speced out for the 127.

IMO

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are very helpful. I appreciate it! Who knows what to believe!

How much more would the 127, 123 or 126 be in your personal opinion?

So it sounds like the duct work should be fine for these models and that I should get a quote.

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So it is my understanding that that Bryant Legacy model comes in 1.5-5 ton models. He meant to quote me the 4 ton. You still think the preferred is much better?

• mike_home
    9 years ago

"He meant to quote me the 4 ton."

I am suspicious when a contractor writes down the wrong model number for both the condenser and air handler.

The Bryant Preferred is better equipment. A good contractor should offer you a few options. I also don't like the comment that you duct work is not good enough to work with better equipment.

I don't get a good feeling about this contractor. Don't go for the cheapest quote. It often results in installation issues.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Hard to say about pricing from the Legacy 13 model to the Preferred 13, Preferred 16, and Preferrred 17 systems. The upgrade price would include both the condenser and the var speed air handler. But you have a lot of room to work with considering the low end pricing you received on the initial Legacy 13 model system. And just to confirm, that was a 5 ton system he quoted.

IMO

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am still waiting for updated pricing on the Bryant systems and will post them when I get them.

In the meantime, with respect to the Trane pricing I provided, how high are those prices?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Extremely high...

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh...like how high? 20% too high? Higher?

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there a major difference between the Bryan Preferred 123A and the 126B? I know two SEERs but what else?

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh...like how high? 20% too high? Higher?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Mainly SEER between the 123 and 126.

See link below. Help yourself by getting educated.

It is not this forum's job to price equipment. I have already told you while I like Trane, that dealer's quote is way out of line based on the info you have provided.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Bryant Preferred AC Condensers

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I have educated myself and have visited the Bryant site. Unfortunately the site doesn't allow me to compare models within the same series.

So - the SEER rating between the 123 and 126 is small so it seems that there really isn't a big difference. However, the 127 is a two stage. So what II want to know is whether I would get a bigger bang for the buck going from a one stage to a two stage within the preferred line.

Finally - I agree. Trane quote is obscene.

• Stroget
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. I got a quote for the 4 ton Bryan Preferred 126B with variable speed air handler for $5,200. That seems like a good price. A good unit to go with? I don't think I want a two stage because I don't care for the sophisticated thermostat.

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

That is a heck of a quote, too good to be true. You should verify the AHRI matching number with quoting dealer. #7018579

Here is the matching AHRI number.

7018579 Active Systems BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS PREFERRED SERIES PURON AC BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 126BNA048****A** FV4CNB006L 1400 46000 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 357 Yes

You do want the Edge Thermidistat which would be the same for the 2 stage Mdl 127. I really think with the pricing you are getting, you are making a mistake not getting the 127 model. Ask for new lineset that is properly sized.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 13:01

• ven60
    9 years ago

Need help to select AC unit only. Furnace is OK.
    Current unit - Bryant 552anx048 - 4 Ton unit, 12 year old.
    proposed unit - all 4 tons
    Bryant - 116B - Net investment - $4,451 all inclusive
    Bryant - 126B - $5,048.00
    Trane - XB16 - $4,300.00
    Trane - XL-16I - $5,340.00
    Lennox - XC14 SEER - $6,033.0
    Lennox ACX 13 seer - $5,187

Any help in selection will be greatly appreciated.
    Any other recommendation is welcome.

Thanks

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Will not respond to any post that is hijacked onto another forum member's thread.

Start your own thread by going to bottom of home page.

IMO