Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystiky

Need help with my Casablanca Ceiling Fan now making noise

mystiky
9 years ago

I have owned the Casablanca Stealth Fan model 3211a (using the XLP-2000 motor with IntelliTouch control system model W62) for 4+ years now. It was performing without any problems until about two weeks ago.

http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/casablanca/model.asp?ProdNo=3211A

It suddenly started to make a noise, which prompted me to speak to Casablanca, read the manual and etc. I followed their suggestions to tighten the nuts that hold the fan motor (located just below the canopy). They were not loose, so I decided to remove the light bulb, disconnect the electrical connection to the light and then finally the two aluminum plates (one of them being the Glass Holder and the other one - I will call it 2nd Plate from now on - which is between the motor and where the Glass Holder mounts on to with 3 screws. The photo attached shows a close-up of the what I am seeing.

I have circled in GREEN color the spots where one can clearly see where contact is being made between 2nd Plate and the 5-segmented fan body. That is what I think was making contact, which created the noise.

I decided to insert 3 millimeter spacers to increase the gap between the small duralumin mounting flange and the 2nd Plate (you can see the silver-colored flange where I circled in RED). This way, there would be more space between 2nd Plate and the 5-segment fan body. After putting everything back together, the fan ran perfectly fine and quite. After about 6 hours, unfortunately, the same noise re-started again.

I then again removed everything and started to run the fan without any plates on it (just the way you see it in the photo). It ran fine for about 30 minutes and then a different but horrible noise started to appear. Imagine a train pulling into a station and hitting the breaks. That squealing sound is exactly what I am now hearing and I cannot figure out where and how it is coming from. BTW: The fan even with the noise is spinning at full speed and all speed controls are working.

Two question that I have are these: Inside the RED circle, there is a small black pipe which is just below the silver duralumin mounting flange with the 3 screw openings, which hold the 2nd Plate. Could it be that the motor has somehow shifted upwards and has caused the small black pipe into contact with the 5-segment fan body? Also, how is the duralumin mounting flange fastened to the bottom of the motor?

Please make sure you click on the photo (to make it bigger), so you can clearly see my color markings.

I am really lost for answers and before spending money to call in an expert would like to know if any of you have an idea of what maybe is going on.

Thank you!