Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will A Mini-Split System Work Here?

Posted by Route66Services (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 12:22

I'd like to cool (no heat needed) a sunroom and a workshop that are not cooled by my central heat pump.

On the house diagram, the 10'x20' sunroom is at the lower left corner, and the 12'x19' workshop is at the upper right corner.

Installing window units in those rooms will require the usual costs for carpentry and window removal, plus the cost of adding electricity in the sunroom, plus the cost for two window units. I'm guessing a total of $800 or more.

Even though a Mini-Split would cost more, I'm wondering if it might be a more efficient installation for cooling those two separate areas.

My heat pump is located near the left corner of the back of the house. The Mini-Split condenser could be located there too, putting it about 30' from the sunroom and 25' from the workshop. The air handlers could be centered on the right wall of the sunroom, and on the back wall of the workshop.

Could this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will A Mini-Split System Work Here?

Minot or Miami? It matters and does make a difference. Yes, mini-splits will work in this application. You might look at a Tjernlund Airshare as a possibility to do one or both of these areas out of the central part of the house.

o

I am going to assume that since no heat is needed, you live in a warm climate. I don't see why it would not work provided you don't have to go all the way around the outside of your house with the pipe. Even then, it might be fine. I think that your pipe lengths will be inside the max even with quite a few bends. It will be a lot more efficient, and a lot quieter. Humidity control will be better depending on the window units you might choose. It sure will cost more.

What kind of work will be done in the "workshop"?

o

Yes, very warm climate: Central Florida.
Workshop is probably not accurate, it's really a storage room where I keep most of my hand tools and lots of junk I can't seem to part with.
I had an estimate on a mini-split about two years ago: $1,800, and I'm hoping prices might have come down since then.
Anyway, any suggestions about which are the best mini-splits for this application?

o

$1800 two years ago was for a single, 1:1 system? It sounds like you really want humidity control as much as cooling for the "shop" Mini splits are good for that as long as you get the variable speed, inverter models. That would probably be virtually any of the good ones.

o

Yep, a mini split system would work for that setup. As ionized mentioned, they will help with the humidity too.

Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Daiken, Gree...they all manufacture multi zone systems.

I think Gree tends to be the most cost-efficient, but they aren't very well known in the US. You can find them online at sites like ACWholesalers, HomeDepot, or ComfortUp. The latter looks to have a 2 zone system for about $1500 with a coupon. www.comfortup.com/gree-multi-dual-zone-ductless-mini-split-system-18-000-btu-inverter-heat-pump-9k-12k-indoor

Not sure about warranty on Gree though. Check the site.

o

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here