Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splats

Nest Thermostat conflicting views

splats
10 years ago

I was going to get a Nest thermostat until i started reading reviews. It appears this thermostat is very popular and gets lots of 5 star ratings. The thing that is bothering me and delaying my purchase is the fact that there are a fairly high number of 1star ratings from people who have serious problems with the unit. On top of that it appears that Nest customer service is lousy to non-existent. It appears that one of two things happens - you install it and it works great; or you install it and have all kinds of electrical and other problems. Things like burned out circuit boards, etc.

Could any electrician/ac technicians comment on this unit. To me, it seems like this unit is a $200 crap shoot and I don't want to take the chance for that amount of money.

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm unimpressed with the Nest, because I had a thermostat in the 1980s that did everything it does, except the iPhone connection. It cost lesss than $200.

Does it do anything for you that a cheaper model can't? How often would you use the fancy features?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The amount of problems you will have will depend on your current system and wiring. In some cases the thermostat needs a C wire. Most older systems don't have this wire. I have also read the first generation Nest did not support 2-stage equipment. It may also have difficulties with heat pumps.

The Nest customer service department is not staffed by trained HVAC technicians. There are better thermostats with proven track records.

• splats
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well how about mentioning a couple! You can't leave me hanging...

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ has many nice features. It is meant to be professionally installed, but I think most DIYers can handle it. The Ecobee thermostat is also supposed to be good, but I have no experience with it.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

Yes theyâÂÂre sexy but will they be around in 5-years or will they be an âÂÂalso ranâ like others that have come & gone?

SR

• dave1812
    10 years ago

I almost ordered a Nest with my new HVAC system this spring. Like you, I did some research first and concluded it's a flaky unit and in addition to a high failure rate, it tries to outsmart the homeowner with it's own idea of "setback". I opted instead for the iComfort wifi. it's awesome but I did have one quit after 3 months. a tech replaced it with a new unit the same day I called in for service. it keeps the house temp extremely stable--while the Nest gets complaints about it's wide temp variations.

• splats
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I've decided not to get it. A friend of mine has one in his 60's era house and loves it; but there are just too many people with major electrical problems - it is readily apparent that installing one of these is a crap shoot I'm not willing to take at $200.

• johnpaulformento
    10 years ago

As long as you confirm it works with your system its an amazing unit. We have one is love it. Everyone else we know who has one loves it and has had no problems. I find if you go looking for problems on the internet, you are going to find them. Especially with a popular product.