Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugsnt

Help with Trane system proposal

bugsnt
10 years ago

Hi,

I would like some advice regarding a whole system proposal.
My house is a 2271 SQ FT center hall colonial with a very open floor plan; 2 stories with an unfinished basement.
I live in central NJ - the house is about 34 yrs old with so-so insulation. The house faces the south with alot of exposure to the sun.

Trane XR15 42000 BTU A/C Compressor
Trane Coil (unknown model)
Trane XR95 100,000 BTU Furnace
The system will be supplied with new line set, Aprilaire Thermostat and new condensor pump
Grand price installed for $7600

Is this a good price and an adequate system for me?

This post was edited by bugsnt on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 13:37

Comments (8)

• artnj
    10 years ago

I know nothing compared to the experts, but I do live in central jersey and am shopping for a 2.5 ton unit now (your getting a 3.5 ton unit). This seems like a really cheap price to get the furnace as well.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

The price you are getting is very good. I would even say it sounds too good for central NJ. Is this price after rebates and tax credits? Are you confident about this HVAC contractor? Did he do a load calculation? The furnace seems over sized in my opinion.

If you live in or near Mercer county then send me an email. I can give you the contact information of the Carrier dealer I used for my systems. Make sure your email address is not private. Otherwise I can't respond via email.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

For Mike

You realize this is the XR95 furnace, not the XV95 furnace.

The fact is this is not even a matching system. Absolute waste pairing a high eff condensing furnace non var speed with a high eff condenser.

The furnace is probably oversized as well.

What good dealer would quote a system mess like this?

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I could be wrong, but I still think the quote is on the low side considering the prices we typically pay in NJ. Also consider we are having another heat wave in NJ and HVAC contractors are super busy.

My advise would be to get additional quotes. There are many HVAC dealers in central NJ.

• bugsnt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies...

The Total price was to be net after rebates and tax credits.

I tried to get a quote from another Trane dealer and was told that the Trane units still has issues with leaking coils.
    This dealer quoted me a system based on Lennox components.

• sktn77a
    10 years ago

Systems seem a little oversized. I would have thought closer to 2.5 - 3 ton AC and 75000 BTU furnace. Was a load calc done? What were the sizes of the old equipment?

• bugsnt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've called to schedule a few other quotes/bids.

Thus far - no load calc done yet.

The old equipment a 110,000 BTU furnace and a 42,000 BTU A/C.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

As said, the Trane quote was not matching and you definitely don't need higher than an 80 KBTU high eff furnace. The 100 K is absurd and I would dump that dealer.

IMO

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville