Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apg4

My air conditioner isn't working...

apg4
9 years ago

...like it used to. It's a 16,000 BTu, relatively-new Samsung window unit that has done a pretty good job of cooling half of our under 1,000 square foot house.

I'm a reasonably adept mechanic (did the upgrade to a 200 amp panel box, re-plumbed the furnace last winter, have a dependable 42 y.o. Land-Rover as a daily driver, and can field-strip an M-1 Garrand or a Zenith carbureator blindfolded), so "recharging" a sealed-system window unit isn't a challenge.

But before that, I thought I'd pull the unit out and give the fins of both the evap and condensing coils good cleaning with compressed air. Hose 'em with a mild detergent of some type or maybe a solvent. I know some detergents are basic - like SimpleGreen - and aren't friendly to aluminium. Are there any solutions specifically useful for this task?

Cheers

Comments (4)

• apg4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cleaned the coils, through they were pretty clean to begin with. One clue: the condensate pan was virtually dry and the coils are mostly warm w/ only a few inches actually cold/cool...which is why I suspected that the refrigerant was low to begin with. Of course, no one seems to want to work on window units these days. The Samsung is only five years old, while a former Fedders that came with the house when purchased 30 years ago was already a decade old and served well for another ten. I guess that don't make 'em like they used to....

With R-22 being phased out and its exponential jump in price, I guess no one wants to bother with older units. Even the web-advertised "DuraCool" product becomes illegal in the US after July 31. I really hate having to scrap something after just 5 years. I want things to last like my Land-Rover or Vermont Castings wood stove....

This post was edited by apg4 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:05

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

"I guess that don't make 'em like they used to..."

So true. It is time to move on if there is anything more than minor that needs to be fixed. They are like modern toasters and other household appliances, not made to be repaired. There are foaming coil cleaners that do a dandy job on window units.

I have a two-ton window unit at my house that was working fine three years ago when the blower fan motor quit. I don't recall the vintage, but it has to be 20-30 years old. I installed a mini-split in that utility room shortly after that so I did not fix it. If you want to pick it up, it is yours :-)

• beaniebakes
    9 years ago

apg...I'm in the same boat as you. LG window unit purchased 3 years ago and used no more than one month each year stopped cooling last week. I sent an email to LG thinking maybe, just maybe, they would honor a warranty due to the limited usage (I didn't expect a yes answer). They sent a silly reply telling me to clean the filter, run it at 62 to see if it cooled, or call a service technician. And a separate GE dehumidifier purchased around the same time was recalled a few months ago, but at least a refund check was sent to me. I'm gonna try cleaning the ac with a foaming cleanser (thanks, ionized!) If that doesn't work, I may splurge on a mini-split that will also provide heat rather than wasting $400+/- on replacements.
    Good luck.

• apg4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, and I'm going to look for that foaming coil cleaner - for next time. The condensing coils were still bright and shiney. It bugs me big time to have to pitch something only five years old. That old, ton and a half Fedders - that seemed like its actual weight, not its cooling capacity :-) - must have lasted 20, 25 years. Just replaced the dishwasher: the previous one - a Hotpoint - lasted 22, which might be a record. In fairness, I could have replaced the fill valve for less than $20, but the wife wanted one with a stainless front.

I've found a pretty good deal on Amazon for a Frigidaire - free, 2 day shipping with Prime!

Cheers