Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziggymars123

Trane quote

ziggymars123
10 years ago

I live just outside of chicago 20 miles south. The house is 1000sqft. Downflow. The rep did a load calculation. Cooling 2 ton 24,000btu, heating 60,000btu.

estimate is for
xv95
xb14
Tcont 602
not sure with coil, but they said its aluminum.
ari 3440485

Said it would cost 1k more to step up to xr15. Is it worth it? thought about xr13, but lose out on the rebates.

only model number i got was TDHZB060.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

This post was edited by ziggymars123 on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 11:58

Comments (13)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would want to know the Mdl number of the Trane evap coil quoted.

Don't care for the furnace selection at all. Oversized.

Wrong thermostat even quoted for that furnace.

I would want to know the heating load calculation for such a small home. I probably would look at the XT95 or XT80 furnaces and selection would depend on the heating load.

IMO

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get the calcs.

If i remember correctly, the decision was based on the windows, and the insulation of the house. The house is on a slab if that matters.

The furnace they are replacing is 100,000 btu's, which they said was oversized.

ziggy

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

BTW, where will furnace be located?

Post back.

IMO

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The furnace will be located on the floor in a separate room.

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They do not want to give me the info requested. I guess they think I am using it against them.

So as a little more info, the variable speed was considered because the west rooms never get as cold or hot depending on the season. my neighbors house is the same way. So we thought this would help move the air around.

We also thought as it gets very cold here some winters, the 95 would be the better option.

Why do you think the xt would be better?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The XV95 is a 95% eff two stage var speed furnace. The low stage is 36 KBTU, the high stage about 56 KBTU output. The fact is you would never use the high stage. Never have liked the idea of paying for something I would never use. And then there is the wrong thermostat quoted. Your biggest concern on the heating side should be a correctly sized furnace. The XT series furnace while sgl stage would come closer to doing that. And it will be very quiet compared to that monster you have.

That is wrong and unprofessional of the dealer who will not proved the evap coil model number. Maybe they have something to hide.

You definitely need a load calculation for heating!

IMO

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

A variable speed blower is not going to help with air circulation. That would require some ductwork changes.

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

Another part of the reasoning for the xv95 was the rebate.

I guess I will get a quote on the xt95.

Do I need the 95, or is it too difficult to determine without the calc?

Thanks

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

out of the 4 companies i had come out, this was the only one that did the load calc.

I am not sure how these things work, but isn't the same info used for the cooling side, which appears to be ok since no one questioned it.

Should I assume they did it wrong?

Thanks

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

If new system is configured correctly, you can get the Fed Tax Credit with the XT95 furnace and XB14 AC condenser...

This is one you should get a quote on.
    5007572 Active Systems XB14 TRANE 4TTB4024E1 4TXCB036BC3 690 *UH1B040A9H2 21000 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 159 Yes

Yes, it qualifies. A bit light in cooling BTUs. I would want HW Mdl 8321 thermostat. What do you do about filtering your return air?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 10:21

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you say; "Yes, it qualifies. A bit light in cooling BTUs".
    Are you referring to the original build?

Forgive my ignorance, but i am not sure what I am looking at here.
    5007572 Active Systems XB14 TRANE 4TTB4024E1 4TXCB036BC3 690 *UH1B040A9H2 21000 13.00 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 159 Yes

I was planning on getting the media cabinet.

This post was edited by ziggymars123 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 14:42

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, i got the quote, and it is $200 less for the XT95.

This post was edited by ziggymars123 on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 13:20

• ziggymars123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey tigerdunes I was hoping you could give your opinion just one more time. I finally got the load calcs.

They are saying the heating load is 39,543 btu
    cooling is 18,341

per your recommendation, I asked for the XT. Here is what they suggest.
    TDH1B065A9H3
    4TTB4024E1
    4TXCB025BC3

They said if i was planning on replacing the older windows I could go down a size in furnace.

Also went with the hw 8321
    They are not sure the media filter will fit in the space, but they are coming out to measure.

Thank you for all your input.