Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small buck-shot looking holes in A coil

Posted by DjW105 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:43

This will be the 3rd consecutive year that I have had to replace the A coil for my AC unit. It seems 'something' is eating away at the copper coils. My AC rep showed me by running green die through the system and putting on goggles. It looks like someone shot my ac coil. The unit is in my unfinished basement. My washer and dryer and also there, but have no issues. The only thing wehave found is the cold water copper pipes are black, which we have researched, and the plumbing is grounded correctly.

The unit was replaced last July, ran the remainder of 2013. I turned it on May 29th and it ran fine until July 12th. The is the 3rd year this exact same thing has happened.

I did a radon test, which was negative. I don't know what else to test for, but there must be something. I trust my AC Rep and the product. He has been replacing with no charges to me under the warranty. Thought/suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small buck-shot looking holes in A coil

Here's a pretty good article that describes the problem:

Here is a link that might be useful: Troubling Pinhole Leaks in Evaporator Coils Cause Corrosion Issues

o

That copper pipes are black might be a clue....

Replaced any drywall recently? Around here, there is a major court case concerning Chinese made drywall that out gasses sulfur compounds. Wiring and piping in affected homes rapidly degrades in these recently-built homes to the point that *everything* has to be ripped out and replaced

The courts have ruled in favor of the homeowners in at least one class action lawsuit, but actually collecting from the Chinese is another matter.... Hope you don't have that drywall.

This post was edited by apg4 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:22

o

It is difficult for me to believe that the use of cleaning and personal hygiene product chemicals in the home is going to cause a corrosion problem. I'd love to see some data that could support that. What I am thinking of is exposing a coil to, say, 10 X the high side of what you find in a typical home and show what happens.

Formic and other organic acids in building materials, in drywall and other things, is a known problem. The OP should look at his pipes and wires.

This post was edited by ionized on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 21:20

o

It is not Chinese dry wall. We thought of that last year also, but I have not had any constuction done on the home. I'm sending my AC rep the Article that was shared. Thank you. He replaced my coil today with an all-aluminum coil since something is clearly attacking the copper. I will let him know about the 3rd post; the notation on testing on a 10. I am sure he will know what that means because I am the home owner and do not. Thank you for replying and giving us something else to look for!

o

I fixed my post. It should be 10 X as in ten times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here