Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy_r

Bryant Evolution System - Need Feedback on Proposed System

randy_r
13 years ago

I am wanting feedback on the following system:

Bryant 355CAV06080 Variable Speed Modulating Furnace

Bryant 186BNA036 16 Seer Single Stage Air Conditioner (I don't want two stage due to reliability issues and need)

Bryant Evolution Series Thermidistat

Bryant CNP48211 High Effeciency Indoor Coil

Bryant 17 Gallon per day humidifier (free with install)

10 year parts and labor warranty

All new lineset

Total installation: $8642.00

Fed Tax Credit: $1500.00

Delaware Rebate: 800.00

Bryant Bonus Rebate: 700.00

Total $ 5642.00

I have a 2 story Colonial in DE with approx 1800 sq. ft and unfinished basement. Gas furnace in basement. Duct work was custom done and in good shape.

Would like input on price and product. I've other estimates but so far I'm settling on this one.

Comments (12)

• randy_r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The a/c is three ton. I am not sure what size furnace it is.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

randy

with all these rebates and credits, a heck of a nice system.

the furnace is 3 stg with 80 KBTU output.

you have one omission which is some type of whole house air filter cabinet.

what size AC are you replacing?

3679410 Active Systems EVOLUTION SERIES SINGLE STAGE AC BRYANT HEATING AND COOLING SYSTEMS 186BNA036****A CNPV*4821A** 355(A,C)AV060080 33600 13.00 16.00 1

a little light in cooling BTUs.

IMO

• randy_r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a three ton system. It's a 13 year old builders grade comfortmaker. It hasn't been charged or maintained in about three years and is still maintaining 78 in our 100 degree plus DE hot and humid weather. All the installers are agreeing with the size of the a/c.

I'm not sure what you are communicating with me when you say "you have one omission which is some type of whole house air filter cabinet." My understanding is that this furnace accepts either Bryants 3" (or is it 5") furnace filter or the standard 1". It's my understanding that it can accept either. But I may not understand what you are saying.

Is there something more I should do to clear up the matter?

I take it from your comment that you feel the price is good?

Thanks TigerDune! I really appreciate your feedback more than you know. I've learned so much from this forum. I had little or no clue as to what I was doing.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

randy

you should consider a separate filter cabinet just not the furnace filter rack.

you will note the cooling BTUs are short 2400 BTUs for a full three ton condenser. probably not a big deal but I wanted to point it out.

the price is very good.

IMO

• randy_r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!!! I will go back to the contractor to discuss. Just approved for my loan so we're getting close!

• pitflyer
    13 years ago

This looks like a great price to me. I live nearby in PA, and my quote for a very similar Carrier (same manufacturer) version of this is $8,775 after manufacturer rebate to your $7,942. Only thing I can tell I am getting different from you is a free one year maintenance check, I am getting the 2-stage A/C, and mine includes the flex media filter. On the other hand, you are getting an 80K furnace as opposed to my 60K (don't know how that affects price).

Guess I am saying it sounds like you got a good deal, and I am happy to see yours as well to compare with mine (posted here in another thread).

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

randy

I believe Carrier and Bryant have an updated version of the Infinity/Evolution control. You want the latest and I would follow up with dealer on this point.

IMO

• randy_r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pitflyer, thank you for your comments. The two stage you have would definately bump up the price. I previously was looking at Bryant's preferred two stage and the quote was several hundred dollars higher, but that a/c did not communicate to the Evolution thermidistat and since then, for a couple of reasons, decided on a one stage and wanted to go with a evolution a/c. So your quote might not be that far off from mine. I really appreciate your feedback. Everyone wants a good deal and I am hoping I have one. The contractor is a new business and is hungry. He has 25 yrs HVAC experience and his master's. No complaints or problems on BBB. I'm going to get a couple of references first though. He is going to throw in a filter. He said it comes with a filter cabinet. Funny you should mention the first year service part being free. I was planning on negotiating for that as well.

Tiger, I will indeed ask for the latest thermidistat!

I'll be so glad to get rid of this Delaware humidity. The heat is one thing. I think I could deal with it by itself. But I hate the humidity!

Pitflyer, do you like your new system? Have you been able to notice a decrease in your energy consumption? Does it do well removing the humidity? The two stage should be good for that!

• pitflyer
    13 years ago

That is interesting because my Carrier 2-stage (Preferred Line) does communicate with the Infinity controller, so I would have assumed the same with Bryant/ Evolution, but you are correct.

I can't give you feedback on the system yet because we haven't set our installation date. Part of our good price was we agreed to not be in a hurry to install as long as the rebates all stayed valid (and luckily Carrier just extended theirs out 6 weeks). Our current system still works but is 17 years old so good time to do with all the rebates. I am with you on the humidity, hopefully our break hits this weekend!

Good luck!

• randy_r
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are some two stage units in the preferred line that would work with the evolution thermidistat but the particular one that was selected for our bid wasn't one of them.

I was and still am a little torn on whether to get a two stage or one stage a/c. Some feel with my two story colonial I will be fine with a one stage and because it's less complex it will be less likely to have problems. But I think with equipment sometimes it just comes down to the luck of the draw. Two stage units have been out for a very long time so no doubt they will last.

My system also is still working (thank you Lord!) but it doesn't remove the humidity like I'd like. I'm hoping the evolution will change that.

Good luck with your new system!

• pitflyer
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the new Infinity Thermostat, Tigerdunes. I looked around and even though the US Carrier site still has the old one pictured, the Canada site has a picture of the newer one, which I can make sure I receive since I do like it better and want whatever is most current(if they are getting them here yet):

Old
    http://www.residential.carrier.com/products/controls/infinity.shtml

New
    http://www.carrier.ca/Controls_and_thermostats-en-44.php

• bwalinsky
    10 years ago

Hi, I know this post is old, and you may not check this forum anymore, but if you do, would you mind sharing which AC contractor this was? I got a quote for similar Bryant equipment but at a much higher price.

Thanks!