Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmichaeljmoore

Propane prices.....

mrmichaeljmoore
16 years ago

I am in Connecticut and was wondering about propane prices...

What are people seeing for prices in your area?

I am with Suburban Propane...last year's lock-in early buy program price was $3.19/gallon.

I talked to them yesterday and they said they don't have the prices for the early buy program yet, but they guess they will be about $4/gallon or so....

We use propane for heat and cooking....

Anyone else getting prices yet??

Comments (29)

• egor_sb
    16 years ago

Wow!!! I thought our propane prices were high out here in California (we are at $3/gal) Prebuy price is a little better at $2.89, but yowzza!!! You guys are over the top! 5 years ago out here, propane was about $1.50/gal., so I saw the writing on the wall and put in a heat pump to hedge my bets.
    At those prices, I would seriously consider electric. but it gets pretty dern cold in Ct.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

From years ago, we were using propane for a forklift, taking our own tanks to nearby Surburban Propane location for refill. They kept going up on price. We found another supplier on the other side of town much cheaper. Told Suburban to match the price or we would drive the extra just to keep from being gouged. They did match the price. I am told (by farmers) that Ferrell Gas is the most prone to gouging. Shop around and negotiate.

• jeffnette
    16 years ago

Just got my pre-purchase contract in the mail and the price for propane her is $1.64 per gallon..... in northeast kansas....

• don21
    16 years ago

Pretty sure my last tankful was $1.94 per gallon, delivered - In Mississippi

We're about 25 miles from the refinery, if that has anything to do with it

Don

• HerringboneD28
    16 years ago

Here in Arkansas my Ferrellgas prebuy is $2.279/gal and yesterday's price was $2.159. Last year's prebuy was $1.83. Seems like it jumps about 25 to 30% every year. Sure wish mine was $1.64 !!!!!

• mrmichaeljmoore
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just got my prices for Suburban Propane (Danbury, CT) Early Buy program.

275-400 gallons: $3.29 gallon
    401+ gallons: $2.97 gallon

Last year was $3.19......not too bad of an increase, I guess.

Thank god for my wood pellet stove......

• bonanza_stu
    16 years ago

You guys with high propane prices should consider installing a high efficiency heat pump to work in conjunction with your propane furnace. The heat pump will work fine into the 30's then the furnace will take over. In the Philadelphia area that is about 50% of the heating season.

If you do not have a furnace that is rated in excess of 90% AFUE you are wasting $$$$.

Easy way to look at this is, if you are paying $3.00/ gallon of propane, you are paying $32.25/ million Btu's. If you have an 80% AFUE furnace, you are paying $40.33/ million for heat that goes into your home. The rest is waisted. If you have a 93% AFUE furnace the same million of Btu heat into your home cost, $34.67.

1 million Btu of resistant electric heat(electric baseboard or electric air handler) costs $43.94 @ $.15/kW. Heat pumps have a rating called COP, Coefficient of Performance. Divide the cost/ million electrical Btu by the COP, of the system you are looking at, will yield the cost of heat pump Btu/ million. $43.94/2.65 COP= $16.58/ million Btu of heat. If you heat 50% of the year with the heat pump and have an 80% AFUE furnace you will average $28.46/ million Btu or a savings of ~30%. The higher the COP the greater the savings. some manufacturers have equipment that has COP ratings in excess of 3.25.

Just something to think about.

• catnapped
    16 years ago

$4.03 a gallon from Suburban here (central PA) and only likely to go even higher. I'm pretty sure we're being gouged because we don't use enough (300-350 gallons/ annually)...gotta keep those profits up, you know...

• jca1
    16 years ago

Here in NC where I am ours is $2.49/gallon, to me this is way too high, but it's the same all around. My suggestion to anyone comparing prices is to look around real good. Call dealers that you feel are outside your service area cause you'd be surprised how much the prices can vary from town to town. Sometimes you'll find that outside dealers are looking to grow in your area and will give you a little better price to get their name on a tank in your area. I believe there is a lot of price fixing with propane just like there is with gasoline, and a lot of made up excuses as to why it's higher in one area than another. I remember a few years ago when a large propane company in city X, lost a customer to itself in city Y, because of the price difference, thats true.

• woodinvirginia
    16 years ago

We just put in a 500 gal tank (underground) from Southern States the gas was 411 gallons for 1000. Around 2.42 per gallon. (Central Virginia)

Now we bought the tank but apparently they charge us 130 per year for regulators and maintenance fee , Is that right or should we buy the regulators too?

• corvetteguy
    16 years ago

Yesterday in NE PA I paid $3.50 for
    42.1 Gallons (cooking and clothes drying).

Maybe I will be lucky and the natural gas company
    will drill for gas on my 50 acres. Then I will
    get my gas for free. Plus 12%.

• tom418
    16 years ago

Michael Moore: I just paid $5.63/gal for 43 galons in Connecticut (Propane Service). Time to shop around....!)

• garyg
    16 years ago

"I just paid $5.63/gal for 43 galons in Connecticut (Propane Service). Time to shop around....!)"

- Holy sh%t!! I think that's a record price.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

and i thought ours was high, just paid 2.61 a gallon for 100 gallons last week.

• mnk716
    16 years ago

I in CT and paid $4.25 @gallon for 35 gallons in November. I use only for cooking. I have a contract with Bremer Propane in glastonbury and they tell me it is so expensive since i use so little throughout the year (

• tom418
    16 years ago

mnk: I'm paying $5 + because I'm "not using enough propane". The company used to charge me a $50/yr rental fee on the tank. So I guess it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other..

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

i forgot about that, they charge me a 30.00 a year tank rental fee. all i have on it is a dryer, so 100 gallons lasts me about 18 months. gonna build a deck and put in a LP grill this summer, so that will change, but not much.

• jca1
    16 years ago

I remember once we had a customer that was about 50 miles from our plant with a 60 gallon tank. When the driver wage, fuel costs, truck maintenance costs, etc. were figured, it cost us money to carry gas to that customer. This is why the price is higher for light use customers.

• tom418
    16 years ago

jka1: I understand the cost of delivery. But when I was using more propane (and they were charging me less), they used to deliver twice in one year, servicing the same 50 gallon tank. (And they used to bring me 30 gallons,twice a year, instead of my now annual usage of 44 gallons or so)

• furnone
    16 years ago

Talk about the cost of delivery. I live, literally, across the street from Rural Gas in Trumbull,CT. I have a 100 gal. tank for cooking, and a pool heater in the summer. Last delivery in July was 52 gallons at 2.63/gal. I filled 2 20# tanks for the grill at their yard and it was 80 cents/gal. Tank rental is $85/year.

• jca1
    16 years ago

furnone, thats really crazy. They can't even buy gas for close to 80cents/gallon, you sure about that? If so I'd find a way to haul that 100 gallon tank over there right now.

• rjoh878646
    16 years ago

Probably 80 cents per pound in the 20 pound tank. translates to 12.80 for 16 pounds of gas in the tank (80% fill) thet go by pounds on the small cylinders. Set them on a scale and fill them up.

• DNT1
    16 years ago

2.04 per gallon in middle TN area not to bad I guess after reading some of these posts. I think that my t-stat would be set much lower and I would be wearing a sweater inside my house if propane costs me 5 bucks a gallon.

• furnone
    16 years ago

You're correct rjoh and jcal it's 80 cents/pound. LP weighs 4.2#/gal. so 20#=4.76 gallons, that's $3.36/gallon at $16.

• witchybear_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

Does anyone know where you can buy your own underground tank in NC. I live about 25 miles north of the Raleigh area. There is alot of competitive rates in the area but as I have found found out the crooks that I have heating with now own the tank and going else where just doesn't work out. (wish I knew this 13 years ago when I bought my house)

• DNT1
    16 years ago

witchybear in my area, Middle TN, there are 4 propane companies that service my area. All but one offer to sale you above or underground tanks as long as you buy a service contract typically for a year. A underground tank itself is not that expensive it is the installation work that will be expensive, are you sure that you need a underground tank? Or is that just what you have now?

• witchybear
    16 years ago

It is what I have now and use to - and I think from neighborhood "rules" so to speak we have to have an underground but need to look into that more. I did find sales for the western part of NC into TN - but can't find anything closer to me at the moment which seems odd....

The current company I have now wants me to pay more than what a new tank costs.

Thank you.

• Katie_DL
    10 years ago

I think the main thing is to make companies compete with one another. The propane price seems to change quite a lot depending on where you live and how much you use (not to mention what season it is - I mean how expensive is propane in winter!). Here's a website I found useful and they have a page on propane in CT...

Here is a link that might be useful: Propane in CT

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I own my tank and equipment and will be upgrading to a 500 or possibly 1000 gal tank before heating season. I try to buy in the early summer. Buying short quantities just kills you price wise. The more you do with lp, usually, the better the price as it gives the company a year round load. If you have elec water heating I'd suggest you add a gas water heater. Shop around. Get in the yellow pages and contact other companies.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio