Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidstembridge

Replacing Janitro HPT 18-60 Thermostat with Lux 9600TS - help!

David Stembridge
10 years ago

I purchased a new thermostat; but noticed that the wires were not attached to what appears to be the "color coded" mounts on the thermostat.

The new thermostat is a Lux 9600TS and the old is a Lux 9600TS. This is on a Goodall 5 ton PHK 048-1 Heat Pump.

I pulled the cover off the control panel of the unit, and they trace back to the same mounts on the unit; but still aren't matching with "color code". Should I just match up the new wires with whats on the old thermostat?

I'm attaching a photo that shows the wires on the old thermostat and the heat pump.

Any ideas?

Comments (13)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

For some reason the original installer did not follow the color code wiring convention. In this case you should ignore the color of the wire. Reattach the same wire to the corresponding terminal on the new thermostat.

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike, what about switching the wires to where they would seem to belong on the Heap Pump side, and that way it would match better?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You can switch the wires so that it follows the normal convention (red for R, green for G, etc.), but it is not necessary. If you do switch wires, then you must be careful they do not go anywhere else. The R connect is for the 24 volts from the transformer. You want to make sure you don't don't cause a short and damage the transformer.

I would play it safe and stay with the current wiring configuration.

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One additional note,

I have one wire going to R on the old one. BUT there is an RC and RH on the new one.

The manual gives multiple scenarios for installation based on heat pump.

It looks like the jumper is used if there are 2 separate System 24V transformers. I have 2 ext. breakers, would that indicate 2 separate transformers - and the need for a jumper?
    Any idea on that?

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One unrelated side note... this site seems to generate some odd background music... is this just me?
    (or is it sounds in my head.... ) How do turn it off?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You should connect the former R wire to the R terminal and place a jumper over to the Rc terminal. You should only have one 24 volt transformer.

I don't here any music. Check to see if there is a pop up playing in the background.

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For some reason, our heat pump isn't kicking on - with heat at all. AC has worked fine, not much of a use for that now! Any ideas?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Did you move the setting to heat mode?

When the thermostat calls for heat, does the condenser turn on? If yes then it may be the reversing valve is in the wrong direction. Check to see the O wire is connected.

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

Did you put the jumper from W1 to Y as per the instructions for that thermostat. If you don't install the customer provided wire there the outside unit will never come on in the heat mode.

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, The jumper bridges RC and RH currently. I will change that 1st. The wires on the unit outside do not match up color wise.. I think that may be my problem. I tried to match based on the old thermostat connections. If changing the bridge doesn't help, I'll post back!
    Thank you!

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

harlemhvacguy, I added the jumper from W1 to Y. It works now!

Thank you all again!

• harlemhvacguy
    10 years ago

You have to have a jumper between W1 and Y as well as one between RH and RC. The one that goes between W1 and Y is not included with tstat. You will need to make one with a piece of tstat wire.Without jumper between RH and RC now the air conditioning will not work. Don't ask me why a tsat sold to a homeowner doesn't come with it but oh well.

• David Stembridge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gee... thanks for that tip, I will add that back there. There were several diagrams; but so far mine hasn't matched any one perfectly!