Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when compressor power goes off, must we wait before using AC???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 10:37

I seem to recall reading that AC compressors have a heater unit to reduce the viscosity of the oil, which is constantly on. Thus, when the power is cut, you supposedly must wait 5 h for the heater to reheat up the oil or risk damage if running the AC too soon.

Can anyone comment if there is anything to this? Since when our compressor went off a month ago, the technician noticed the breaker had popped, turned it back on and immediately ran the AC. Seemed to all work fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when compressor power goes off, must we wait before using AC?

I am unaware of any heater for the a/c side but in the winter on a heat pump if the temp is low enough the heater will kick on to warm the compressor. I don't think there is any reason to worry in the summer other than the 5-10 minute wait for the system to equalize after a power failure or being shut off.

o

Years ago, most if not all condensers had sump heaters. Not true today. So many people would cut the breaker in the winter to save some electricity. This would prompt the need to turn the breaker back on, if a cool weather startup was anticipated.

If your outdoor temperature has been at 65 degrees or higher, for at least 24 hours, you're good to go.

V

o

thanks, good to know I am not causing more damage.

o

Thanks Veesubotee I was not aware of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here