Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artnj

Need Air Conditioning Advice

artnj
10 years ago

I have two 15 year old Allegiance units (one for basement + main level, one for bedroom level). I dont know model numbers or any of the technical details. A few years back, one of them had an electrical issue, where it wouldnt necessarily turn on, but sometimes would if you reset the fuses. It now wont turn on. It wasnt terribly expensive to deal with the electrical issue last time, but no guaranty its the same issue.

My instinct is to replace the unit that isnt working rather than pay for a repair, and to continue to ride the working unit for hopefully another few years.

Does that make sense?

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would want a diagnosis before I replaced and if cost to repair is reasonable.

However, it would not make economic cents to put a lot of bucks into a major repair.

15 yrs is getting close to end of life cycle but the unit you have s a good one compared to what you get today where price trumps quality the majority of the time.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Is it the same AC that is having the problem? Do you have the paperwork from the last repair?

The age of your units is in the grey area where it may make sense to do the repair. It could be something simple like a capacitor or contactor replacement. I suggest calling the company who did the last repair and getting an estimate. Hopefully they will give you an honest assessment of the condenser.

If you do a replacement then you will also need to change the indoor evaporator coil and possibly the line set. You may also want to replace the furnace or air handler especially if you plan to live in the house for several more years.

• artnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tigerdunes. In my area the contractors usually want like $99 to come out, and they deduct that if you pay for a repair. So even if its a relatively simple thing like last time, its probably around $250 to repair. Given that the newer units are more energy efficient, I wasnt sure it was worth $250 to get a 15 year old unit back up for who knows how long.

Its not that I want to spend $5,000ish getting a new unit, I definitely dont. Just wondering if its the smart move.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would pay $250 depending on diagnosis. I would not pay $500. In between a big ? Mark...

IMO

• artnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found the old receipt...it was a micro-leak in summer of 2011, same unit I believe. The electrical issue was further back, and I cant find that receipt. So likely the problem is that there isnt enough coolant in there and that is why it wont turn on. I was charged $250 total for the leak repair in 2011.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Waste of money to refill unless tech can locate leak and make proper repair... Just a gas n go is a rip off to homeowner.

IMO

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Usually low refrigerant does not prevent a condenser from running. It will run and either the coil will freeze up, or you get no cool air.

Fixing a refrigerant leak in the coil is expensive. If that is the case then it may be time for a replacement.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio