Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_5809

A/C Sanity Check

Scott.5809
10 years ago

Hi All,
I've done a lot of reading on here over the past week and thought I would go ahead and post my short story too.

We live in Florida and the Wife and I normally keep the temp around 73 in the house. We also have 4 cats and the worlds most shedding dog in the world. We should be changing our filters ever month but that did not happen with the OLD unit.

So, the Salesman comes over and gives us a Good, Better, Best Quote (Installed). This includes a new slab.

Best: $7,443 XL20i & XL TAM8
Better: $5,617 XR15 & XL TAM7
Good: $4,375 XB14 & XR GAM5

They call those prices, "System Investment" because it is after all of the rebates, promotions, and discounts.

We went with the XR15 Option which was pretty much what we had previously. We also figured our energy savings would be a lot better since we were replacing a 9yr old system.... suspect the lack of monthly filter replacement caused our system to need replacing a little earlier than it should have. Note: Lesson learned!

The installers come out at 8:30am and immediately break down the unit in the attic. Shortly after the old unit is removed, they inform my wife that the Air Handler we bought will not fit.

The next thing I know, we are getting a different Air Handler but told it is the SAME insides as the one we were suppose to get but shorter.... AND single speed fan instead of a variable speed fan.

WAIT A SECOND.... the sales guy told us (and I have read here) that the variable speed fan will help keep humidity levels where the should be? He ALSO told us it is good to match the outside unit and the inside unit. Oh, and it's $350 cheaper now??? The lead installer guy tells my wife that the signle speed fan will only be a 1% or 2% affect. What about energy savings?? Oh it is still going to be 16SEER. So, why was I going to pay the extra $350???

Sorry this post is so long....

I would like to know if my conclusion is accurate or not??

MY CONCLUSION:
Since the XL TAM7 wouldn't fit and we went with the XR GAM5..... we probably should have gone with the XB14??

What got installed....
XR15 (4TTR5036E1)
GAM5-SF-1D (GAM5A0B30M21SAB)

I am hoping this is 16SEER and still a matching set???

Comment (1)