Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Skill level needed to install radiant floor heating?

ibewye
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to have a home built and have chosen a geothermal system to be installed and plan on using radiant floor heat heating and an central a\c for cooling. The estimate I got for our 2800 sq ft house seemed high. I'm a commercial (union) electrician and noticed that the quote I received included the use of a Rehau radiant system. I recognized the name because I've installed several ice melting systems underneath sidewalks and courtyards for various corporations locally and they've used Rehau products.
So my question is given my experience and mechanical ability to install similar electrical systems would I be able to tackle the task of only installing the aluminum plates and routing\fastening of pex tubing to the floor system and leaving the ends in the basement where an hvac contractor(friend of mine) said he'd make the connections to the manifold, zoning and any tie ins to geo system?

Comments (6)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I think you could. However you need to get all the specs on how to install and understand them completely. The other thing you need to know is the required number of BTU's, water temp, etc.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I am curious as to why you are going with a radiant flooring system for the whole house? Why not integrate forced hot air with your central AC system?

• ibewye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Geoffrey_B: I agree, I plan on hiring heating and a\c contractor that I know as a consultant for all the brainwork and final connections etc. I also have a detailed list of parts and materials in the estimate as well as the sizing specs. The geothermal contractor is providing and installing the Waterfurnace Synergy 3D heat pump unit which handles both hydronic and forced air requirements. I believe I read the system operates at 120 degrees.

Mike_home: to be honest with you I'm not sure. I'm not a huge fan of forced air heating for a few reasons 1st being I live in New York so the winters are long and heating is primary concern. We also have allergies and a hairy dog are another, so having dust and fir blowing about seemed to make the least sense (I know this will happen with AC). That left me with baseboard or radiant as choices. I chose radiant as it seemed more economical and I knew I liked the heated floor concept over the baseboard. The tax credit for the geothermal also applies to the heating system so that's helping offset the cost of the radiant floor. I will admit I could live without radiant floor on the second floor, but I'm not sure if this would complicate things.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

I have no experience with radiant. I think it works great under a tile floor in a bathroom or kitchen. I am not sure how well it works under carpeting or hardwood floors. I imagine it adds a lot of extra cost of forced hot air.

Forced hot air systems have come a long way since the old days. A multi-stage variable speed furnace can be very quiet and comfortable. If you have allergies you could get a electrostatic filter and a humidifier.

Do you access to natural gas? If you do then it would be cheaper than geothermal given New York's electric rates.

Study all the options before making a final decision.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I would suggest that you look into Warmboard. They will do the complete layout on the necessary panels and the top pros I know around the country are very pleased with it.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

lbweye: Be sure to take some good pictures and measurements when you install - that way you will know where the pipes are - just incase you want to drill into/attach something to the floor. You can rent Flir video cam's at home Depot.

My home is 60 years old, and I have hot water radiant heat in the ceilings ( 1" thick rough plaster, with 1/2" copper tubes on 4" centers). The house is uniformely warm, and I'm in Minnesota.

I've lived in the North all my life. I wouldn't want forced air heating. The good deal about radiators or infloor heating is that you have a mass as a heat sink.

Can you get your A/C with ducts/vents in the ceiling - where it belongs?