Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phronesis_gw

What can I anticipate?

Phronesis
10 years ago

I move into my house in February and it has an HVAC system for upstairs (a finished attic � 1.5 ton a/c) and one for downstairs (2.5 ton). They are both about 25 years old. I got a home warranty when I purchased the house and now it appears that both a/c units need replacing (the main floor unit required 3lbs of freon and so is clearly leaking and the upstairs unit joined the dark side and started blowing hot air instead of cold yesterday).

What I've been able to glean from reading online is that if I replace the a/c unit, I'll likely need to replace the furnace as well.

So, my first question is whether this is a *need* or just a good idea. This is important because I'm pretty sure that my Home Warranty will only support needs, not good ideas.

My second question is what else am I likely to need done if I get new systems? That is, what else has changed in the last 25 years that will require changes to the larger heating and cooling of the house?

Many thanks

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

First of all, it would be foolish to spend any serious bux on a system this age. Some leaks are repairable depending on location. Others are a waste of time.

I am not a fan of third party warranty companies. They have a terrible reputation in the industry and are known more for shoddy work and taking care of themselves rather than their customer.

I certainly do not recommend purchasing replacement systems through the warranty company either. Ask for a cash settlement.

What is your location?

Furnaces are same age as outside AC condensers?

As far as a new system, it should be a matched system sized correctly for best operation and comfort. Oversized is just as bad as undersized. If you have any hot/cold spots in your home, now is the time for an experienced dealer to address.

IMO

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, a cash settlement. That hadn't occurred to me. Many thanks.

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa.

thanks for the thoughts

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and, yes, the furnaces are the same age. Everything was installed in 1989.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Replace all components for a complete matching system...

IMO

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is replacing the furnace a *necessity* that any HVAC professional would agree is necessary (such that the warranty folks will pay for it) or is it highly recommended, though not necessary?

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Home warranty companies are in business to pay out as little as possible. They are not going to pay to replace a functioning furnace. This replacement would fall under the highly recommended category.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The furnaces are 25+ yrs old. Only an HVAC expert could advise you on their functionality, reliability, etc. you have to weigh that against the cost of a new furnace,possible higher efficiency, and better comfort. Heat exchangers deserve an inspection. No warranty there.

But if you keep the furnaces, you will be limited to only 13 SEER AC condensers with matching coils because of the furnaces' conventional blower motors. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 15:07

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good deal.

I think this answers my question. The impression I'd gotten in my looking for information on-line was that air conditioning units of today would be incompatible with the furnace of 25 years ago (just in general, not anything about this particular furnace).

What I'm understanding from you all is that it *can* work, but just not as efficiently.

I will probably go ahead and replace everything (wanting to be responsible and all), but I was just curious about what the Home Warranty folks would cover.

many thanks

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

The home warranty company certainly will not cover a new furnace. Best possibility would be a low end 13SEER AC condenser with matching coil hopefully. And you best get ready because it won't be free. These shady outfits always have a way of getting into your pocketbook big time. Weigh whatever they offer against a settlement. Understand any new warranty and your out of pocket costs.

IMO