Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_gee_gw

Carrier/Infinity System

dave_gee
10 years ago

First off - I've been reading this forum a lot in the last few days! Everyone on here has been a great resource, and I've been soaking in all the posts/comments before I posted this!

So, little background...we live in a "new construction" home..built about 8 years ago. We weren't the original owners, so we've inherited their choices in construction. In that is some lovely Goodman units. It's a 3 story home (approx. 3300 sq ft) with a system for basement and first floor (A/C Condenser, Gas Furnace) and upstairs (Heat Pump/Air Handler). Long story short, our Goodman system is on the way out, with old r22, leaking coils...we're just putting bandaids on it until it completely dies.

We've been suggested to replace the systems with Carrier Infinity products, here's the system we are leaning towards:

Upstairs:
Heat Pump 25HNB524A003
Air Handler FE4ANF002700

Downstairs:
A/C Condenser 24ANB636A003
Furnace: 58CVA090-1-16 (80% AFUE, 2 Stage)
Coil: CNPVP4217

Total price said and done is around 13k - with the extended 10 year parts/labor warranty.

I'm a bit of a nerd, so of course I fell in love with the Touch Control t-stats!

With that said, I guess I'm looking for some silver lining...the thought (and really, cost) of replacing this system on an 8 year old house is kind of making me ill. I've read up on the systems, I know they are good...but maybe I'm just looking for some other pro's to chime in and reassure me we're getting a good system!

Also - think we're missing anything if we're doing such a complete overhaul? Are the touch control's really worth it over the standard infinity t-stat? Price wise I think it was only a $300 difference for 2 of them. I really like the Nest t-stats, but almost certain they won't work with this setup.

Thanks for any help anyone might offer!

Comments (8)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear both of your Goodman systems after failing after only 8 years of use. I suspect it was a combination of builder grade equipment and poor installation.

The Carrier Infinity equipment is very good. The touch controls are nice, but not necessary. They are not a large cost differential.

What is your location and what are the sizes of the first and second floor? What size equipment are you replacing?

I would consider upgrading the gas furnace to a 95%+ efficiency model, or changing the downstairs AC to a heat pump and create a dual fuel system. Your gas and electric rates will influence the decision.

Carrier rebates start in September. You may be able to save some money if you can wait.

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

I agree with MikeâÂÂs post. However I would install the FE4AN003 fan coil if space permits. I would also definitely install the Infinity WiFi Touch T-stats. IâÂÂd rather spend the money and install the best rather than later think what a Putz I was to not have done this when I had the chance. Besides, this way youâÂÂll be able to control and monitor your systems from any smart phone anywhere in the world (almost). Your dealer too can also have a preliminary look at your system, should there be a problem, without ever leaving the office.

I always get over the money issues very quickly but remain unforgiving of myself for not having installed the best quality when I had the chance - but thatâÂÂs just me.

SR

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I agree with everything from the two previous posts.

What is location?

What size living area is basement, main floor, and upstairs?

Infinity systems should have the Infinity controls.

Anything about pleated media filter cabinets for both systems?

Adequate return air for all levels?

Any hot/cold spots in home should be pointed out and addressed by dealer.

IMO

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Not a pro, but I just replaced two 6 year old Amana units (made by Goodman). We'd already paid for multiple repairs adn were hoping to go a bit longer but our hand was forced when we discovered a Puron compressor was replaced with an R22 compressor and the coil was contaminated. There was also a question about whether the furnace was properly sized -- I got different answers on that and didn't verify for myself before deciding we were not going throw good money after bad.

I now have two Infinity systems with the touch thermostats. I don't know how much difference there is in the touch controllers, but they are nice. I really like that I can easily read them in the dark rather than having to close a door and turn a light on when DH is sleeping. I like how smoothly the systems run and how evenly they cool. You will never miss that blast of hot air when an AC kicks on, we can set the system to dry the air or to cool to temp. The controls are easy to use and while we do have the ability to set them remotely with a phone app, we haven't needed to yet. Nice to know we can I suppose, but that wasn't a selling feature. Large and easy to read even in the dark may matter more for us.

• dave_gee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback guys...I really appreciate it!

We are in Montgomery County, MD - just outside of DC.The house is pretty evenly split square footage wise betwen the three floors - and we're lucky there are no hot/cold spots really (beside the basement staying relatively cool because it is mostly below grade).

I do know we have very limited space for the coil/furnace area (due to some lovely Ryan Homes contraction!)...I know we had wanted a different combo but that was about all he could fit.

He didn't mention anything about the pleated air filter, can you give me an idea of what that is?

Good to hear the positive feedback on the systems, we should have the system installed later this week...it's *kind of* exciting, until we start writing checks!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I'm in Montgomery County, Texas. You made me look twice!

I think you are asking about the large box filter (4" or so instead of the 1"). They fit into a box at the air intake side of the unit itself rather than in your air return. They are changed every 6 months to a year. I had one person tell me they didn't recommend them, but from what he said, I suspect his customers didn't get regular maintenance or change them. Most folks say they do a better job and the cost over time is similar to or less than the 1" pleated types since you change them less often, You do pay for the box that holds them at installation.

With the Infinity System, the thermostat keeps track and gives you reminders so you don't have to worry about forgetting to change them. You will also get an error message if you somehow get a filter so dirty it causes too much resistance.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

For Dave

I prefer the pleated filter media cabinet box over the 1" filters. They are installed at the return end of air handler or furnace. They last up to one year and are more effective at improving indoor air quality as well as protecting your evap coil and blower motor. Changeout is fast and easy.

Also on the upstairs heat pump, I would ask for Carrier's prewired staged 9 KW heat strip that operates in 3 KW increments.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

A final thought on upstairs system.

You could save yourself some bux by going with Performance 15 HP matched with Performance var speed air handler. Pair with Edge thermidistat and 9 KW staged heat strip. Performance/efficiency numbers just as good as the Infinity system.

IMO

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!