Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlnjz_gw

Ideas please -- Upstairs is too hot in Cape Cod style home

jlnjz
10 years ago

We are in the process of buying a house with 1-1/2 stories. The upstairs is pretty large -- 3 bdrms each with it's own bath. I had an HVAC guy check it out during the inspection because we could see that there were 2 systems and we assumed one was for upstairs and wasn't working. Turns out that 1 system handles the west 1/2 of the house and the other handles the east 1/2 and the upstairs. My guy said that the systems are working normally but that the upstairs return air is handled thru the same duct as the main floor and that's a "no-no". He said that it doesn't allow enough hot air to be pulled from the upstairs. He said the best fix would be to run a new return air duct from upstairs to the basement but doing this may be cost prohibitive (if its even possible). We thought about a whole separate system for upstairs but that won't work because you can't get ductwork to all the rooms due to the really tight "attic" space. I asked about zoning and he's a one-man shop and doesn't do much of that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Without seeing your home, my best advice is to seek a more experienced dealer. A one man shop does not fill that bill. You need to know the various options and associated costs before closing on this property. Just from your short anecdotal story, I probably would pass on this home.

IMO

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

One idea is to add a mini split system...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ductless Mini Split Systems

• jlnjz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tigerdunes -- wow....I didn't expect to hear that we should pass on the house! I appreciate your input but I'm wondering what makes you say "pass" right away -- are you in the HVAC business and know that there isn't a good way to deal with this?

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Yes...to your question...

You asked...I answered.

You need another expeienced dealer to offer suggestions, options, and associated costs. Money solves a great deal of problems. Depends on how deep your pockets are. I really don't understand why the two systems were setup the way they are. See my suggestion and link to a mini split system.

And yes, passing on the house should be a worst case scenario. I would not close on this property though until you know the full range of options and their costs. The ideal situation would be a separate system for upstairs and downstairs. What is the size of each zone? Tell us exactly what HVAC is in place now-brand, age, mdl numbers, size, etc....

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

upstairs rooms that have walls that are shared with
    attic space are always difficult to condition.
    hot in summer...but in winter heat from downstairs
    makes it easier to heat.

in my experience it is the walls themselves that are
    the cuplrit...not lack of hvac.

attic temps are extreme. in the summer the attic temps
    can pass 130 degrees. R-13 batts in walls just doesn't
    stop the heat transfer.

you can throw more money in hvac at the area...but
    it will be at a preminum cost, both in equipment and
    costs to operate.

fixing the walls is a one time cost. then conditioning
    the space is achievable.

walls shared with attic should be insulated. usually
    batts stapled in place, in full contact with wall, and
    no gaps or voids. then a foil faced foam sheathing
    board, nailed to the faces of the studs.
    foil faces into attic space to reflect heat out of walls.
    install is with button cap or roofing nails. sheathing
    is caulked to studs, top and bottom plates & all
    seams are taped.

this install both insulates and air seals these
    problem walls.

do a site search of FROGs family room over
    garage...to see that these are common problems with
    rooms that share attic space.

southface inst has great detail in their air sealing pdf
    linked below...page 5

http://www.southface.org/default-interior/Documents/airsealingkeypoints.pdf

best of luck.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

BTW,what is your location and age of this property?

IMO

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I do agree with energy rater. I would call an insulation contractor out to tell you exactly what you have, what can be done to improve,and the costs. Good DP windows upstairs?

IMO