Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vabear

Compressor Overheats and Quits

vabear
10 years ago

RUUD 4 ton central unit and thermostat for cooling never set below 77 degrees. about once a week I hear the condenser fan running tepid air from vents and a chugging sound from compressor, turn system off for 5-10 minutes and turn her on and away we go (for a few days(). What is causing this to occur?

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What is age of system? Sounds like a pressure switch is cutting off compressor. I would call a dealer to investigate and determine cause.

Just curious, when was last time system was serviced by reliable dealer?

IMO

• klem1
    10 years ago

I assume you mean tepid air from indoor vents and chugging is coming from outdoor unit rather than actual compressor.
    If both assumptions are correct,here's what you can do. While everything is working as it should,fimilarize yourself with how outdoor fan blades appear while in motion and the amount of air flowing from it. When the problem occures,look again at fan to see if its behaving remarkably different. Report back plus tell us if you read simple electrical diagrams and are comfortable working near live electricity.

• vabear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes tepid air was from vents, condensing fan blades appear normal in both Normal and d Abnormal operation and air coming from condensing unit when chugging occurs seems the same (temp wise), I can read electrical schematics. The odd thing is if I turn unit off for 5-10 minutes and restart, all is well for a few days.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Compressors don't usualy make odd noises and continure work for long , hence my suspicion of fan beiing the source of noise. I totaly agree it's odd that it go's away for days rather than minutes. Back to the air coming off outdoor fan. The volume,speed/forcefulness along with tempature is what I'm interested in. If the volume and tempature are same in both cases AND the indoor air is cool in the absence of noise but much warmer when noise is present,that pretty much says compressor about to go belly up,albit,unusual for it to continue working intermitly. Time to have it checked by the pros.
    Were the air still hot but far less volume,that would be a clue to a bad fan motor or possiably capacitor and/or wire connection.