Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaking Window Air Conditioner

Posted by LeleRan (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 4:28

I have read some other posts about leaking window units into the home and understand the drain could be clogged. However it's 3am and a little dark so I can't investigate that area right now.

It's dripping from right under the bottom of the unit's base...dripping enough that it has soaked my carpet but not pouring off the unit. I just didn't notice this at all!! Ugh.

So another question I have is, could I have had the temp too low for the hot conditions outside? I think this is a silly question but the temps here in MN over the past 3 days have been boarding 100 degrees with extreme humidity. I have been keeping the unit around 74-77 on energy eff. and it has seemed to keep me cool enough. However, when my husband was here (he's been on a work trip for the last week) he likes it cold and we would turn it on full blast at 68 degrees. I'd normally call him to ask but it's 3am and not going hit him with this till morning :)

Is there any way this could be the problem?

Thanks a lot for any responses...I'm a little out of my element here and am sweating!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaking Window Air Conditioner

More likely the drain holes in the case are clogged up or the unit was not pitched correctly when installed.

o

I agree with brickeyee
unit is not draining.

o

pitch: not a baseball term. ;-)

It means that the unit should be leaning towards the back so that the water can drain to the rear. This is the normal way to install a window unit. And as suggested, a drain hole may be blocked (by dirt or some multi-legged creature looking for a home).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here