Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127_gw

Please help...mildew smell from central AC

cheri127
16 years ago

Forgive me if I'm asking a repeat question. I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything directly related to my problem.

I bought a beach house last year (new construction, but almost 2 yrs old) and by the end of the summer, the central AC started to have a mildewy smell. We have two units, one for the first floor and one for the second and it's only the first floor that smells bad and it only smells with the AC not with the heat. You can smell it from all of the vents but it's worse in the powder room and at the return vent, which are near each other. The air handler is in the utility room on the first floor but the duct work runs through the crawl space under the house.

Coincidentally, the compressor on this unit just went bad. Even with the AC off, I still have the smell coming from the powder room and return vent. I'm waiting for the new compressor to come in and would like to discuss the smell problem with the technician when he comes to do the install. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this odor and what I can do about it? My daughter is allergic to mold and I'm hypersensitive to odors so this is a real problem for us.

Any advice/information would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheri

Comments (5)