Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_mi_2

Basement dehumidifier with all the windows open?

jim_mi
9 years ago

Silly question, but what's the best way to dry out the condensate on the tile floor of my basement lavatory and the cement utility room floor where condensate drips off my well water pressure tank? Easy answer is to seal the house, dehumidify, and ventilate. Reality is that we are located on the northern Lake Michigan shoreline where the temps are generally quite pleasant in the summer and we love to keep the windows open and enjoy the lake breeze. The relative humidity is probably often closer to 75% than the ideal 50% with this arrangement, but it is not uncomfortable and I much prefer the cool lake air to central AC air. But all that said, I need to dry out those wet spots in the basement where the outdoor humid air cools and condenses. I used an LG 65 pint room dehumidifier in the utility room, but these units are cheap HD/Chinese junk and my second unit in 3 years just failed. I hate to keep using "disposable" $250 dehumidifiers for this problem. Any suggestions on how to dry out a few spots in the basement and still enjoy the lake breezes?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler