Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamacotti_gw

Advise needed, PLEASE

mamacotti
10 years ago

Hi everyone...I have a question I really hope someone can help me with.

We have a 5-ton geothermal unit that kept turning itself off. The "Low Pressure" red light would come on, we'd have to reset the breaker and it would work again for awhile. Maybe 3 hours, maybe a few days, depending on outside temps.

The service guys came to check, said it was low on refridgerent, added it with dye, and charged me $400. Said they'd be back in a few days to check where the leak was located. After another $250 for checking, they tell me it's in the evaporator coil, and a new one will be over $2000 once labor is added, as it's very labor-intensive to repair this in geo-thermal.

Since they added the refridgerent, it's like I have a/c finally for the first time in this house! It's been a wonderful few weeks...

So my question is...what is the average cost for this? Really, over $2000? That sounds pretty pricey to me, and I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. The unit is about 15 yrs old... I'm wondering if they are taking me for a ride because they know my husband is out of town. I don't mean to sound so suspious, but jeeze, I've already spent over $1500 last month on a new thermostat and service plan, service checks and the refridgerant.

I'd appreciate any advice or opinions.
Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz