Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotandcold2014

Air Conditioning Purchase Advice

hotandcold2014
9 years ago

Hello, I am a homeowner looking to purchase a 2 ton air condtioner unit and I was hoping to get some advice between systems. Here are my choices. Prices include new coil and lineset.

Rheem 13AJN - $2900
Heil DX1300 - $2900
Carrier Comfort 13 24ABB3 - $2600
Bryant Legacy 113A - $3300
American Standard Silver SI/XI - $3100
Lennox 13 SEER ACX Merit Series - $2900

As I have read many times the most important thing is the installer. All of the companies have certified installers and I have spoken with the owners of each and I am very comfortable with them all. Additionally, the price difference between systems is not so much a factor for me - all are within my budget. Therefore it is coming down to which brand and model. Are any of these considered "builder's grade" as I have read to stay away from those? Does any manufacturer make a better lower line unit?
Are there any differences between these units?
Anything I should know about these units that I am unaware of?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Carrier Comfort with matching ALA Carrier evap coil, no third party coil. I would get an upgrade price though to the Carrier Performance 13 model. Should not be much more money and is a nicer condenser.

Paired with what model furnace?

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 6:24

• hotandcold2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will check into the Carrier Performance 13. I think my furnace is a Goodman. I will be replacing the coil with a matching one depending upon which one I will get.
    Why the Carrier over the other ones?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The Carrier and Bryant are identical. The Carrier quote was the least expensive. You were getting better pricing from the Carrier dealer. You have a margin to upgrade to the Performance 13 model which still should be less expensive to the Bryant Legacy. You want to make certain though that dealer is giving you the best matching Carrier ALA coil. You mentioned that you were comfortable with the pricing of any of the models.

The Rheem and Lennox are low end POJ. Not sure about the Heil. The AmStd is same as Trane's XB series. Nothing wrong with either as long as a matching Trane/AmStd evap coil. I was looking at price and best bang for the buck.

Let me know if you have any questions. I assume dealer plans to flush existing lineset. Of course you want to be comfortable with the dealer.

IMO

• hotandcold2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How important is it having high and low pressure switches?

• hotandcold2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How important is it having high and low pressure switches?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Good feature to have....

• hotandcold2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Tigerdunes, why are the Rheem and Lennox POJ? What about them makes them POJ? Parts inside? How about the Rheem 14AJM or classic RANL-JAZ C?

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The two models that I referred to, Rheem and Lennox are low end units made South of the Border. I wouldn't have them. I also don't care for their coils either. The market is trending toward aluminum for longer lasting, less leaks.

The ALA Carrier coil stands for aluminum. Trane has been the leader in coils for sometime. Carrier has been behind the curve in this area but are catching up now, first with their tin models and now aluminum. But you must ask. For years they had serious issues with their copper models. Nothing but trouble.

Nothing wrong with the Rheem RANL Classic condenser, a step up from their value series.

Have you received an upgrade price on the Performance 13 yet?

I think I am done here.

Good Luck
    IMO

• hotandcold2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, tiger dunes! No, I have not received a price yet for the Carrier upgrade.

• hotandcold2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When people refer to copper coil, is the coil all copper with fin as well, or copper foil with aluminum fin? Which is better?