Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romanceintx

Please need some opinions on my HVAC situation, thank you!

romanceintx
11 years ago

Good evening Gents, thank you in advance for the reading. On to the details.

My house was built in 1998 in Spring (Houston, TX) it currently has 2 trane units one for upstairs, one downstairs.

We moved in last October and this is the first couple of weeks of consistent 90+ degree weather. The upstairs unit is not cooling as much as previously. We called Allied Home Warranty regarding the issue, and Lone Star repair came by and gave us an appraisal of the situation: leaking valves in compressor.

His recommendation (proposal) was to replace the compressor with a Trane XB14 unit and a matching evaporator coil in the attic unit (he said the furnace was fine and didn't need to be replaced). Price tag - $7,200 less a $1500 allowance for being a warranty customer.

To replace both units - $12,000.00

I'm no expert (by any stretch) but I've been told this is quite high. What should I do? I had another HVAC guy, which I think I trust more, recommend Goodman. the Goodman unit SSX16 has a lifetime warranty on the compressor which i like in addition to the factory is 15 miles from my house. The second HVAC guy said he would install whatever I like, it's completely my choice but I pressed him for his opinion.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Good night.

Comments (3)