Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
areign

Leaking Air Handler in Attic

AReign
10 years ago

Hi all, thanks in advance for any advice. I purchased a home this last winter and recently tried turning the AC on. I leveled the condenser and cleaned it out, but I guess I was a little ignorant of the air handler in the attic. It was leaking for a couple days before we noticed water dropping through a ceiling fixture. I went up and cleaned out the wet insulation.. sort of. That is a project even without a cramped attic and 120 degree heat. How on Earth can I get the insulation out from under the air handler?? Anyways, I digress, so I figured the drain line was plugged. Sucked it out with a shop vac, water was coming out so I figured it was unclogged. I fired it up again and got nothing coming out of the drain, but the unit itself is dripping in two spots. The left is a fast drip (several per second)and the right is slower. When I turn the AC off the fast drip becomes a steady stream for a minute or so before subsiding. See pic. Is this something internal going wrong or is it the goofy trap they have installed? It may be hard to see from the picture, but the 2nd half of the trap is just as high (if not higher) than the pipe leading from the unit. It is pvc for a foot and then they screwed a garden hose on. The garden hose is about level (maybe even slightly uphill) until it drops out of the attic. Is the improper run causing the backup? Any help with any part of this fix is GREATLY appreciated. I've called my normal HVAC company already and they've said they won't touch it until after summer because of the attic.

Comments (3)