Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heat pump problem

Posted by netkliks (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 23:00

Have Goodman heat pump. It is a year old. Have a strange problem during this heat wave. When the outside temperature
is over 90 degrees, the outside unit doe not work properly.
It will not run very long and it will kick off and on every few minutes. Also the inside unit will not drain until the temperature drops below 90 degrees. As soon as the outside temp drops, everything works perfectly.The unit drains the moisture and it runs normal as it is supposed to. Please solve this mystery for me.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heat pump problem

The compressor coming on and running for a little bit and then shutting down is called "short cycling." It's typically caused by low refrigerant but can be other things as well. You're going to need a refrigeration mechanic.

o

The situation you describe is not normal. You need a service call from a qualified tech to check this out.

IMO

o

If the heat pump is a year old then it is still under warranty. Have you called the company who did the installation? What was their response?

o

I just had a problem with one of my units going dead for an hour or so then comimg back to life and operating normally. New unit too! The condensation line was blocked near the end of the run and the pan was filling up shutting the system down,like it's supposed too. Then it would slowly drain, the float would drop letting the system re-activate. Maybe?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here