Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring the Condenser fan motor

Posted by jerryjoa55 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 22:40

My Rheem Ruud A/C unit came with an Emerson fan motor #51-21854-02. It had three wires that hooked into an AmRad Dual Capacitor 370 VAC, 40.0/3.0 MFD.

That fan has since been replaced by a ProTech 51-230055-11. The Protech had five wires. Black Orange Purple Yellow and Brown.

The tech wired the fan as follows:

The black fan wire plugged into a circuit board mounted on the housing frame.

The brown and yellow wires were attached to each other(basically making it a three wire fan)

The purple wire went to the green connection of the capacitor, labeled as "fan"

The orange wire went to the black or "Common " connection of the capacitor.

Now this Protech motor is being replaced. It was shutting off after tem minutes of use. I had it tested and it was drawing 2 amps, and not getting up to the proper speed.

The new motor is a Fasco, and has four wires: Black, White, Brown, and Brown-and-White.

The tech sold me a separate capacitor for the fan and showed me where to hook the Brown, and the Brown and White. He said I should still use my dual capacitor for the condensor. He also said that the White wire on the new Fasco fan was equivalent to the orange wire on the ProTech.

My question: Where does the White wire connect?
Should I reconnect the White wire to the Common connection on the old dual capacitor?

I noticed an orange wire coming from one side of the contactor to the common black connection of the dual capacitor. Does this supply power to the capacitor?

If the White fan motor wire shares the common connection with the orange wire from the contactor, will this power the fan motor?

One more pice of information. There is a purple wire running from the condensor to the HERM, or white connection of the dual capacitor.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring the Condenser fan motor

Ok... lets keep it simple here. 1st off, the brown and the brown/white wires should have terminals on the end of them. They go to the run capacitor the guy gave you... one wire on one side of the capacitor and the other wire to the other side of the capacitor. Now your black & white wire are the power wires to the fan motor. Wire the black wire to one side of the contactor and the white wire to the other side of the contactor. This gives you your 240vac for the motor. Now mount the capacitor somehow or at least wrap the terminals(wire & all) with some electrical tape to keep them from touching some metal.

**** Please make sure the power is turned off, as it can kill you *******

Hope this helps

o

You need to wire the black to the circuit board so the defrost cycle works correct. The white can go on the capacitor (old one) where the common is to make the 240v. It will work hooking it directly to the contactor but it will not work right during heating.

o

I replaced the fan motor the old one has three wires and the new motor has four. the gut told me to hook the two brown wires thethe capasitor one on each side, hook the black wire to the contactor T1 and the white wire hooks to the capasitor side that has the brown and white strip. this side also has the yellow wire from the compressor and the red wire from the compressor hooks to the other side with the soild brown wire. I did all that and the motor still will not come on. There is a yellow wire coming from T1 to the capasitor with the brown and white stripe I know the tow brown wires are right and the black wire to T1 but is the white wire correct???? or where does it go???HELP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here