Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerryjoa55

Wiring the Condenser fan motor

jerryjoa55
14 years ago

My Rheem Ruud A/C unit came with an Emerson fan motor #51-21854-02. It had three wires that hooked into an AmRad Dual Capacitor 370 VAC, 40.0/3.0 MFD.

That fan has since been replaced by a ProTech 51-230055-11. The Protech had five wires. Black Orange Purple Yellow and Brown.

The tech wired the fan as follows:

The black fan wire plugged into a circuit board mounted on the housing frame.

The brown and yellow wires were attached to each other(basically making it a three wire fan)

The purple wire went to the green connection of the capacitor, labeled as "fan"

The orange wire went to the black or "Common " connection of the capacitor.

Now this Protech motor is being replaced. It was shutting off after tem minutes of use. I had it tested and it was drawing 2 amps, and not getting up to the proper speed.

The new motor is a Fasco, and has four wires: Black, White, Brown, and Brown-and-White.

The tech sold me a separate capacitor for the fan and showed me where to hook the Brown, and the Brown and White. He said I should still use my dual capacitor for the condensor. He also said that the White wire on the new Fasco fan was equivalent to the orange wire on the ProTech.

My question: Where does the White wire connect?

Should I reconnect the White wire to the Common connection on the old dual capacitor?

I noticed an orange wire coming from one side of the contactor to the common black connection of the dual capacitor. Does this supply power to the capacitor?

If the White fan motor wire shares the common connection with the orange wire from the contactor, will this power the fan motor?

One more pice of information. There is a purple wire running from the condensor to the HERM, or white connection of the dual capacitor.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz