Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HVAC outside unit not working

Posted by sn002 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 22:06

My unit is 10 years old. The outside unit won't start so I did a little research
to find out the contactor didn't close by itself when I turned on the thermostat to cool.
I went a head and replaced the new contactor. Now it is closed by itself when I turned on the unit. But it is still did not work. All I heard was like a brief humming sound and the fan did spin just a little bit then stopped. The inside unit is working fine...the blower blows out air but not cool air. Please advice. Thanks

Last year I put in a new capacitor everything working fine until today. so I believe the capacitor is fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HVAC outside unit not working

Are you sure all the wires are in the correct place? You've checked to ensure you are getting 240v to the contactor and beyond? With 240v you should get 120v between each hot wire and ground and 240v between the two hot wires.

o

Here is how I tested the contactor. Turned on the unit from the thermostat to energize the coil so the contactor closed.

I got 24v on the contactor coil voltage. Got 240v on the bottom hot wires incoming power from the disconnect box. Got 240v on the other end of the contactor (coming out). Got 0v from each bar of the contactor so that means they are closed circuit. Got 120v between each hot wire (in/out) and ground.

I got a different reading if I tested without turning on the unit from the thermostat.

One question though. What is the correct way to test the contactor with or without the unit on?

o

Don't assume the capacitor is good because it is a year old. New capacitors have been known to fail prematurely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here