Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwsoft

Lennox versus Bryant AC

cwsoft
11 years ago

I am replacing a 2.5 ton Lennox SEER 10 (1989) AC that is leaking freon.

Home 2475 sq feet, tri-level, central Wisconsin

I have 2 quotations:

Bryant:

186A Evolution Series 3 ton AC - 16SEER (10 yr parts/10 yr compressor warranty $4925

123A Preferred Series 3 ton AC - 13SEER (10 yr parts/10 yr compressor warranty $4350

Lennox:

Merit Series 14ACX 030 2.5 ton 10 year parts and compressor warranty $2568

Series 13ACX030 2.5 ton 10 year parts and compressor warranty $2368

I know one is a 2.5 ton and the other a 3 ton. Currently have 2.5 ton. Lower level of tri-level really does not need much cooling.

They is over $2000 difference in the pricing. I am wondering why they difference and what is the better product. Is the Lennox model a cut-rate model compared to the Lennox or what. Based on what I read, it appears that the 13 SEER is all that is really needed for central Wisconsin. Still the to quotations for the 13 SEER are over $2000 different with the Bryant being almost twice as much.

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

What mdl furnace will be paired with new condenser?

The Lennox ACX condensers are cheap. I would not have them. Get a quote on the XC13 model with matching evap coil.a much nicer model and more comparable to the Bryant 123.

IMO

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

Please post back when you have prices on comparable models. I am curious of how Lennox prices out compared to Bryant. Deciding myself if I should look into Lennox. Most dealers here are carrier..

• cwsoft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay,

Current furnance is from 3/2006 - Bryant Evolution Series 90I model 355aav042060 - With variable speed fan.

I am also getting pricing now on the 2.5 ton Bryant models, plus the 113A model which does not have the high/low pressure safety cutout procedures.

Don't know if the Lennox models quoted has them. Will also get a quote on the XC13 Lennox model

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

You have a nice furnace. I assume you have the Evolution controller. Correct?

I would stick with a Bryant condenser either Preferred or Evolution series. Even though you will pay more, you will a nicer system than mixing a Lennox condenser.

IMO

• cwsoft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right now we do not have the Evolution controller. We have the Honeywell programmable thermostat that provides weekday/weekend morning/day/evening/night features and auto/manual fan.

Evolution Wall control I don't think was offered to us as an option when we got the new furnace. It is quoted at $399.

What should the price reduction be for a 2.5 ton versus 3 ton model.

Also, what do you think about the 113A model. The only big difference they say is the lack of high/low pressure cutoff safety features which they say is important for the higher pressure new cooling fluids.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Pricing difference between a 2 1/2 ton and 3 ton condenser to the dealer would only be marginally higher. Now what the dealer wants to charge his customer is another matter altogether.

If you plan to stick with a 13 SEER AC condenser, I would go no lower than the 123. Probably not what you want to hear but that is my best advice.

IMO

• mike_home
    11 years ago

Tigerdunes is giving you good advice. If you have the funds go with the Bryant matched AC condenser and coil. If you live in an area with humid summers then I recommend the 2-stage AC models with the Evolution controller.

• cwsoft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What Bryant models are you talking about that are 2 stage. I don't know about whether central wisconsin is considered humid for summers. Some days are and some are not. It depends on the year. Though generally everyone states that the additional cost of a SEER model > 13 is not normally cost effective.