Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun2007_gw

Just installed new ductless system

sun2007
9 years ago

Hello,

We just finished installing a new ductless system into 4 rooms in the house (3 bedrooms and kitchen)

We were told by the contractor that we should keep them all running at our preferred temp (much like a central ducted system), and avoid turning them on/off constantly.

Is this correct? For some reason, I thought differently and because they are by room, you would want to turn off/on as needed.

Comments (15)

• ckr74
    9 years ago

Really doesn't matter. They are no different than any other system with a compressor.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"avoid turning them on/off constantly"

That is true of all hvac equipment. Get a worry stone for your pocket if the urge to turn on and off constantly is overly strong.

• mike_home
    9 years ago

I don't see why you should not be able to set back the temperature in a room you are not using provided the set back is reasonable.

• jackfre
    9 years ago

One of their great advantages is the ability to us them as individual zones. I run mine year round as needed and frequently only a couple hours a day/space. That said, if is hot and dry where we live. In a more humid climate it may be necessary to run them longer for moisture control. They do that very well. You own them. Run them as you please.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

I'm with Jackfre. Run them the way you want like. I do with all 7 of my indoor units and 3 compressor units. This time of year, mine are off all day. Three come on at 5 or 6 PM anticipating our homecoming. All but one are off at night. Two more come on in the early morning hours anticipating my awaking and beginning to move around. When I am at home for a while, I anticipate what room's I'll be in and turn them on before I start doing whatever in them.

As Jackfre mentioned, humidity control might make you put then on when you will not occupy the rooms. In this case, a longer run time and slower fan speed will emphasize humidity removal over cooling. Then, you could use the dehumidify setting which is the same thing. On for a short time several times a day might cause high humidity. Get a couple of inexpensive hygrometers to see how you are doing.

• sun2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all,
    We installed the recessed ceiling units in our bedrooms and was just told by the contractor that the fans on these units cannot be turned off, unless you turn the whole system off. So the fan control only has auto and on selections (low, medium, high), no off selection while system is on. Is this correct??

I'm not happy if so, I don't want air blowing at all times when we're using the system. It doesn't make sense to me.

This was their response:
    "That is not something that can be adjusted- the manufacturer has it wired to remain on at low speed to circulate air over the coil at all times. This is connected to a converter, so it is on DC and uses only a miniscule amount of power"

Does anyone else have this system?

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

it is possible that the room temperature sensor is in the ceiling cassette. If the fan is not circulating the air (like a ceiling fan would), then it will be considerably warmer up there than at the floor. You won't have good control sampling stagnant air near the ceiling. I think that placement of the sensor varies from manufacturer to manufacturer between the main hardware and the thermostat.

In the cooling mode, the blowers taper off in speed and with inverter-driven compressors, the compressor slows cutting heat transfer capacity. As both slow down, you get decreased cooling rather than the more conventional snapping on and off repeatedly. The cooling coils get colder as this happens as well. With this comes better humidity control. It is a big advantage unless you live in a very arid area. In the heating mode, you will also get more even heating from a temporal standpoint. Understand?

Do you have remote controls, or wired controls?

With my high wall mounted units, when the "OFF" button is pushed, everything shuts off. Are you saying that in order to get your blowers to shut off entirely, you need to throw the disconnect at the compressor or the breaker in the service panel?

• sun2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ionized. I have wall mounted wire controls and yes, when I push "off", it shuts everything down and is the only way to get the blowers to shut off.

Is there a fix and if so, what do I need to tell my installer?

• klem1
    9 years ago

"Is there a fix and if so, what do I need to tell my installer?"

The manufacture desighned it to operate as it does.
    The installer said it's not broke. ionized said it's not broke and gave you a good explaination why it does what it does.
    The road you want to go down can have no good outcome. It's this simple. If you were sure you could improve the system,capiable of performing the work and willing to give up the warranty,that's your decision. There is no profession that want's to hear how to do their job based on information found on the net. If you tell a chef you were told on the net or by a friend the chef should cook your steak in so and so on fashion,you will get the sorriest steak of your life. That is if he doesn't cram it in you raw and kick you out of the place. Do the research before buying a product.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

Sun, you want the blower to shut off when it is not cooling or heating like a window AC or heat pump and like the ducted systems that you are used to. Even window units do not do that anymore although some can be set that way to improve dehumidification. (It cuts into the raw efficiency numbers.)

Even better central/ducted systems don't work that way anymore. The blowers and compressors are variable or multi-speed. The blower on your system should slow down as it approaches the set point. It should be imperceptible, but still running unless you turn the whole system off. (You can manually set it to a higher speed.) I Think that you just need to understand and get used to modern functional characteristics that will give you better performance performance in terms of both efficiency and comfort.

Don't be afraid to keep posting about your experience. I am not familiar with ceiling cassettes. It is possible that your system is not working the way it should. Try to be as descriptive as possible and post the manufacturer and models of your system. Your posting might help educate others who have or are thinking about installing your type of system.

This post was edited by ionized on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 12:06

• sun2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you ionized.

• houses14
    9 years ago

How expensive are they comparing with traditional ones?

Thanks

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

Houses14, I suggest that you start a new thread. You will have a head start if you include some details like what your climate is like and how many rooms you plan to condition.

One very important factor is whether this a retrofit or new construction. If the former, is there a duct system in place? Will the existing ducts be re-used, refurbished or replaced?

When you ask about expense, are you considering just installation or lifetime operating costs?

• sun2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

houses14,
    Installation was more expensive than traditional systems but we had no other option. We are on slab foundation with no attics.

• Denise Peters
    6 years ago
    Any advice on Miele vacuum