Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theredhouse_gw

low flow from upstairs vents

TheRedHouse
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm popping over from the decorating forum forum in the hopes you answer my question. I have a 2 story house and as we turned the air conditioning on for the first few times this season, we're noticing that the upstairs is pretty hot. A lot of really cold air is coming out of the downstairs vents and very little is coming out of the upstairs vents. So much air is coming out of the downstairs vents we often can't hear each other because of the noise. We're realizing now that it was colder upstairs this winter too, even with the mild temps the PNW had this year. Although we expect it to be warmer upstairs in summer and colder in winter than the downstairs, in the 7 years we've lived in this house it's never been this bad.

We've replaced the downstairs registers for a better fit and closed them and that has helped a tiny bit. Edited to add: There is still a ton of air coming through the closed downstairs vents - so much so that it lifts the registers right up. Is there anything else we can do, or do we need to call in the pros?

Thanks!

This post was edited by TheRedHouse on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 21:45

Comments (3)