Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

What to look(out) for in an HVAC contract

ellessebee
10 years ago

I am about to sign a contract for HVAC equipment to replace and correct improper work done by my GC in the renovation of my house. Since i've been burned once, I am a little leery and hope to avoid any more pitfalls. The installer has a long list of what he will install and do, but it's really hard for me to evaluate. Is there anything I should be looking for in a good contract?

Comment (1)

• fsq4cw
    10 years ago

The contract should state everything included, including make, model number and description of all equipment. Warranty details, including parts, labor, compressors and warranted by whom, dealer or manufacturer. Who does the electrical hookup, including all details.

Details of related service contract, if any. Ask if annual service contract is necessary to maintain extended warranties. Ask if youâÂÂre charged for a âÂÂreturn tripâ if the service technician doesnâÂÂt have the needed part on hand when making an âÂÂin warrantyâ service call.

Options, including make, model, warranty and price.

Have them list whatâÂÂs NOT included in this contract, such as perhaps the electrician.

In your case I would also include an approximate start date and definitely in your case include a âÂÂCancellation DateâÂÂ, that if the work hasnâÂÂt commence by that date this contract is cancelled, null and void and all deposits returned in full within 10-days. Have them specifically sign or at least initial this clause!

Keep one copy of duly signed contract that should state total amount, taxes, deposit, due dates and amounts of balances. No cash payments, cheque made out to company named in contract and if you want, photograph or scan your deposit cheque before hand. Your cheque should also include contract number or invoice number and you may also write âÂÂdeposit for contract #âÂÂ.

I would start with that; they wonâÂÂt likely mess with you.

IMO

SR

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional