Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Is an auto zoning system worth the $$$?

stinky-gardener
12 years ago

Hi! Do I have questions! Have been in my house for 5 years now, and the furnace is on the fritz! I'm planning to replace my 24-year old system with a Trane 95% Gas Furnace with Variable speed blower, & Trane 4 ton air conditioner 48000 BTU, 15 SEER.

My house is a two-story that has 2600 sq. ft. The above items, installation, coil, thermostat, media filter, 10 yr. warranty and 2 yr. maintenance contract will run $9,419.00.

If I want to add an automatic zoning system so that I have a thermostat both up and downstairs, that costs an additional $2,850.00.

Is this extra expense worth it? Is there really a significant improvement with the zoning system? Does this price sound right? I was told I could also do something called a manual zoning system, that needs to be re-balanced twice a year, for $300.00.

I think if I do anything extra, I'll go for the auto-zoning, but really wonder about the additional,significant expense.

Also, I have a sunroom that is around 400-500 square feet. It is an oven in the summer, and a freezer in the winter. Got an estimate for a mini-split that ran $4,310.00. That sounds really high. Is there a cheaper alternative?

I live in Southeastern Virgninia.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions!

Comments (4)