Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC Unit help!

Posted by AlexB2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 21:06

Hi Everyone!

I have an AC unit that doesn't seem to be functioning properly. I found this morning the unit had frost /ice build up around the hose (sorry, not sure of the correct term). The motor runs and warm/hot air does blow out. However, inside the house only a bit of air comes out and it is not nearly as cold as it should be.

The home air filters aren't dirty and the conditioning unit doesn't show any obvious signs of being dirty either.

Can you give me some insight of what might be happening and how much a typical AC mechanic should cost to solve this?
Thanks!
PS it's summer, in Arizona! Yikes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC Unit help!

There are many reasons a unit can freeze up. Insufficient airflow, is one cause. This can be caused by, as you guessed a blocked air filter, or an evaporator motor which is not running properly. A unit which is low on refrigerant can also cause the suction line piping to be covered in ice including the body of the compressor outside in the condensing unit. You said a hose had ice build up, I assume you meant one of the pipes? Sometimes, your expansion device, (whether it be a distributor/capillary tube style or thermostatic expansion device), can malfunction. If there is a blockage at the orifice of the distributor or the TX valve's power-head loses it's charge, then he suction line can frost/freeze at the air handler inside.

The suction line is the larger of the 2 pipes, the one covered in insulation. The smaller, exposed copper line is the liquid line. If that has frost build up on it let me know, and I will tell you why that one would have ice on it.

Where are you seeing the frost/ice on the pipe? It makes a world of difference on what is wrong.

o
RE: AC Unit help!

you need freon approx 40 to 50 bucks a pound plus service call.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here