Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acuna_gw

Need to purchase new Heat pump

Acuna
10 years ago

The compressor burned out in my heat pump.
I have had 3 companies come out and they all tell me the same thing. It would be best to get a new heat pump, furnace/handler & thermostat.
This equipment is only 7 years old. I've have had 3-4 problems with the furnace/handler from week 2.
Current: 3.5 ton Kelvinator SB5BM-T42K-B, COIL AH.T42.B, THERMOSTAT: Comfort-Set 90 Series.
House is 2290 sq. ft., 2 story.

Kohler guy told me the return air duct work was too small for the size of pump. The company that installed the unit started with 16" duct work but downsized to a 14" that went through the walls to the second floor. This is why the whistling noise from that vent. He also said that this could be (80%) why the compressor burned out. His suggestion was to install a 3 ton heat pump, new furnace/handler, thermostat and install an additional vent of 10" size into the downstairs bedroom in the ceiling. This sounded good. He said it would solve the return air problem. This would give me 1400 CFM not the 1000 CFM currently in.
He first suggested a 3.0 Trane. But after I requested him to measure inside he came back with a 2.5 ton Trane XB14 Heat Pump Model 4TWB4030*1000*, Trane XR Series 5 AirTite Air Handler Eff fan Model GAM5A0B36M31SA, Trane TCONT802AS32DA Vision Pro Programmable Thermostat, copper tubbing, Add return to master bedroom for $8,575.91.

Mike's Heating, the last guy comes and I explained what I was told. He looked at everything and then asked how many floor registers does the house have. I counted 12. He said putting the extra return air venting would not solve my whole problem. The problem would still exist. He likes to have 4-5 floor registers per ton. I would need 15-17 floor registers for a 3.5 ton, 12-15 for a 3.0 ton. But putting in a 2.5 ton which goes with the duct work that was put in. He was wondering why the original put in a 3.5 ton.
This guy suggest a Rheem 2.5 ton heat pump, Model 13PJL30A01 & A RHEEM 13 Seer Air Handler Model #RHSLHM3017JA, new refrigeration lines & Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 Thermostat. No need to add a new return duct in bottom bedroom. For $5,050.00. He can put a Tran model in but says Trane�s are not as good as they used to be.

You will find the website for Kohler�s Heating and Air. You won�t find one for Mike�s. He is old school, been doing this work for over 30 years. Plus my boss recommended him. He said Mike knows his stuff and won�t gouge you with extra costs.
I�ve been told Trane is good but what about Rheem?

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Your location?

Let's see now, you have a 3 1/2 ton system. First a 3 ton replacement, then down to a 2 1/2 ton system. You first need to determine the size you require. Looks to me your quoting dealers are guessing.

I won't say Trane is the best but it is much better than what you are being quoted.

I do like Rheem but not the low end model you were quoted.

Here is my general spec sheet for new system.
    both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
    10 yr warranty on parts and compressor

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

My personal recommendation is Trane/AmStd, Rudd/Rheem, and Carrier/Bryant.

IMO

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

"He likes to have 4-5 floor registers per ton."

Wow!
    it is the size of the duct not the number of ducts
    to move the 400 cfm per ton of air.
    many ways to move the air, different
    duct size combinations.

I know about rule of thumb sizing of system,
    but rule of thumb duct sizing is a new one to me.

I size ducts by how big the room is and what
    its heating/cooling requirements.

best of luck

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

That was so silly and dumb...

IMO

• udarrell
    10 years ago

An accurate load-calc needs to be performed; plus doing all Retro-work that will reduce the heat & cooling loads.

There is a FREE Whole House Load-Calc available, learn how easy it is for you & the techs to use it. Do the all the measurements FIRST!

Also, know what the insulation levels are; I'd use 0.45 ACH Air Changes per Hour using the available calculator to figure the infiltration CFM that is put in the appropriate line so it figures the sensible & latent loads.

Here is a link that might be useful: FREE Whole House Load-Calc

• mike_home
    10 years ago

"He is old school, been doing this work for over 30 years."

In the the HVAC business this is not always a trait of a good HVAC contractor. The old school method was to over size and use rules of thumb based on the size of the house. The old methods don't work well with modern construction methods and equipment.

• Acuna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone thankyou for all the input.
    Tigerdunes:
    Location is Belfair, WA
    So, the Rheem quoted is a low end brand. I'll ask what the next step up is. But I understand Rheem is a good brand. I also read about the handler (?) should have a variable speed to run efficiently (Rheem).
    It sounds like to me that the initial install of my heat pump (3.5 ton) was too big for the duct work and my home.
    The 2 contractors are recommending a 2.5 ton.
    The 3rd quote I tossed out. They had several things that were not included with their quote plus the person doing the figuring for the quote did not go out to the house to look for themselves.
    I looked at the website: Here is a link that might be useful: FREE Whole House Load-Calc. Not that easy for me. :(
    Hate to say this but I am starting to feel quite overwhelmed.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You misunderstand. The Rheem model quoted is low end. Rheem is a good brand. Move up to the next level. See below.

Classic Series: Single Stage
    Models: RPNL/RPQL-JEZ
    Copeland Scroll Compressor
    Painted Louvered Steel Cabinet
    Hi & Low Pressure Control
    Up to 15.5 SEER & 9.1 HSPF

Would you take a moment and describe your typical weather/climate both summer and winter?

Post back. I would like to help you.

IMO

• Acuna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Western Washington. The weather can get warm in the summer. This weekend was 67 degrees but humid and sticky and light sprinkles. Muggy, definitely needed air conditioning.

In the winter it rains and snows, we get a few inches of snow to about 20". The snow does not last for long though about two weeks.

I really appreciate your help.

I called the guy back about the next size up for the Rheem and the warranty on it. He is to call me back on Tuesday 6/25/13. Thank you.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need a load calculation performed in writing. I would drop no lower than a 3 ton system for a home your size. Only a load calc will confirm your correct size.

Here is a suggested system.also qualifies for Fed Tax Credit. Excellent numbers.

3393299 Active Systems RHEEM RPQL SERIES RHEEM MANUFACTURING COMPANY RPQL-036JEZ RHKL-HM3617+RCSL-H*3617 36800 12.50 15.00 36000 9.00 23600 1 HRCU-A-CB 297 754 Yes

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 7:41