Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ridens

Help choosing a new HVAC System

Ridens
10 years ago

Hi,
I am currently looking at replacing my 1996 HVAC System. The current system works fine, but I am currently working for a subsidiary of Ingersoll Rand which means that I can get a little bit more in rebates on Trane or American Standard. The subsidiary I work for will be spinning off in the next 6 months, so thought I would consider using my rebate to replace my current system. I am not stuck on either brand, and would consider a completely different brand. I am not sure where to start other than requesting a quote. What else do I need to consider? What do I need to look for in making sure I get the correct unit quoted for my house?

House Size: Tri-Level w/ 2110 Sq Feet.
Current Central AC is Nordyne S3BA-036k 10 Seer
Current Gas Furnace is Bard IH115D48B
60% Brick, 40% Aluminum Siding

I have held off up to this point due to the other system working, and have considered moving for the past 5 years. Now, it doesn't look like I am in hurry to move anytime soon, so really considering replacing existing system.

Any help, recommendations, or comments are appreciated.
Thanks

Comments (6)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Well I assume you want Trane or AmStd model recommendations.

You are in a unique situation.

Top choice would be 80 KBTU modulating furnace either Trane or AS-they are identical.

AC would be Trane XR 15 or XR 17 and AS Allegiance 15-all 3 ton AC condensers.

Perfect fit media cabinet
    Best rated matching evap coil for your application
    And best Trane proprietary thermostat.

Of course, you want to be sized correctly.

Not certain what you are looking for. There are always Carrier and Bryant.

And if more driven by price, then look at Rudd/Rheem.

IMO

• Ridens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. How do I assure that the quote is sized correctly? I plan on getting a quote from both Trane and AS and then can post.

Thanks

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Insist that the dealer perform a Man J load calculation for correct sizing. You will want the results on software letterhead for review.

As stated tri levels are very difficult to control as far as temperature consistency from one level to another. If this is a problem, then discuss with dealer for suggestions to improve. Home has adequate return on each level?

IMO

• Ridens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my quote back from American Standard:
    AS 95% 2 Stage, 100000 btu gas furnace with variable speed motor, pvc flue, digitial prog. thermostat, duct transitions to existing duct system, and install AS 3 ton, 15 seer AC with Matching coil, line set, pad, whip, etc... all for $8995. If 16 seer 2 speed model is perferred, then add $1004 to price.

How does this compare in terms of pricing etc..? Thanks for the feedback.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Furnace is unnecessarily oversized, pure nonsense!

And due to your unique situation working at I-R and I assume the discounts associated with that relationship, I would want the modulating furnace. Too good to pass up. Get the top of line with your one time opportunity.

Does the pricing listed include all rebates and any special discounts available to you? Certainly nothing special as far as I can tell.

What thermostat? Be specific. You need a true two stage thermostat with that furnace. Filter cabinet? New lineset?

I am not impressed with the pricing or the oversizing of that furnace.

IMO

• Ridens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is the price before rebates and discounts that I can get . My discounts are roughly 1500. I asked about the furnace, and he said that the 2 stage would allow the furnace to run at 60k btu's on warmer days and then at 100k during the cold days. It does include a new line set, but re-using my existing Aprilaire filtering cabinet and de-humdifier.