Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_fleming6164357

hvac quote atlanta ga--comments appreciated

Rob F.
11 years ago

Hi All: I received the following quotes/options for a 3 ton (downstairs) and 4 ton (upstairs) two level house in Atlanta, GA. I like the company who quoted me but I am wondering about Bryant and which option is best and, honestly I find it a bit confusing. TIA for any insight.

Option 1 up to 17.6

BRYANT Evolution Series comfort system

Evolution two stage condenser/ heat pump

Evolution 2 stage variable speed 80% afue gas furnace High efficiency evaporator coil

BRYANT 7 day digital programmable thermostat PURON Environmentally safe refrigerant

This system will provide excellent humidity control and comfort.

Two stage cooling: the ability to run at part capacity on the mild days to control humidity and full capacity on the hotter higher demand days.

Variable speed two stage gas furnace: two stage heating 50% natural gas used on mild days 100% on below 40 degree days, variable speed is the blower fan speed that will match the demand of capacity and comfort.

Evolution: a fully communicating system that monitors all function, and provides seamless operation on those cold morning and hot afternoons.

System warranties

 20 year heat exchanger  10 year indoor /outdoor coils

 10 year compressor  10 year Parts and Labor

The total investment for your Upper level BRYANT Evolution 16 system $10,977.00 BRYANT Rebate $600.00 Georgia Power rebate $500.00 NET $9,877.00

BRYANT condenser and evaporator coil only $8,580.00

Georgia Power rebate $300.00

The total investment for your Main level BRYANT Evolution 16 system $9,277.00 BRYANT Rebate $600.00 Georgia Power rebate $500.00 NET $8,177.00

BRYANT condenser and evaporator coil only $7,625.00

Georgia Power rebate $300.00 Two system incentive

Both complete systems for $19,000.00 Georgia Power rebate $1,000.00 BRYANT rebate $1,200.00

Net $16,800.00

Option 2 up to 15.5

BRYANT Preferred Series comfort system Preferred 15 condenser/heat pump

Preferred 2 stage high torque 80% afue gas furnace High efficiency evaporator coil

BRYANT 7 day digital programmable thermostat PURON Environmentally safe refrigerant

This system will provide moderate humidity control and great comfort.

High Torque two stage gas furnace: two stage heating 50% natural gas used on mild days 100% on below 40 degree days, High torque is the blower fan speed that will maintain better energy efficiency than a standard furnace.

System warranties

 20 year heat exchanger  10 year indoor /outdoor coils

 10 year compressor  10 year Parts and Labor

The total investment for your Upper level BRYANT Prestige 15 system $7,377.00 BRYANT Rebate $200.00 Georgia Power rebate $500.00 NET $6,277.00

BRYANT condenser and evaporator coil only $5,600.00

Georgia Power rebate $300.00

The total investment for your Main level BRYANT Prestige 15 system $5,950.00 BRYANT Rebate $200.00 Georgia Power rebate $500.00 NET $7,477.00

BRYANT condenser and evaporator coil only $3,950.00

Georgia Power rebate $300.00 Two system incentive

Both complete systems for $12,277.00 Georgia Power rebate $1,000.00 BRYANT rebate $400.00

Net $10,877.00

Comments (10)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would want to see all mdl numbers for each system-furnace/air handler, evap coil, condensers, thermostats and any auxiliary equipment.

Bryant is the sister company to Carrier and model to model, the equipment is the same except for cosmetics.

What size HVAC are you replacing and are you experiencing any problems?

Post back and I will be glad to offer some comments and suggestions.

IMO

• CedarPond
    11 years ago

Just about all manufacturers have a Good, Better, Best line. The Good usually 13-14 SEER, the Better 15-16 SEER, and Best being 17-20 SEER.

It looks like the company quoted you the two higher lines for Bryant. Was this your preference based on information you gave to the sales person or did they determine what was best for you?

I would definitely recommend the variable speed, two-stage furnace.

To truly improve your comfort level and give you control over different parts of your house...PUT IN A ZONE CONTROL SYSTEM! When we were looking, I learned that many companies just want to sell you a "box", but not really do anything about your comfort through your air distribution.

The middle range equipment (including variable speed, two-stage furnace) along with a Zone Control System will give you the ultimate in control & efficiency.

ProTech Heating & Air put in our Zone System and really educated us on the importance of the air distribution and the equipment. Couldn't be happier that I can now keep Master bedroom at a temp different than my kids' rooms.

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@tigerdunes: i have never lived in the house so i don't know if the old units were OK or not. this was a bank owned house. the existing units are a 2.5 ton condensor for the main level (about 1900 sq. feet) and a 4 ton condensor for the upstairs (about same sq. feet) I am not sure what the existing furnaces are. The rep said that they did a load calculation and recommended 3 ton and 4 ton replacements as there are no 2.5 ton Heat pump units. I don't understand why they are quoting me an 80% furnace though?

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@cedarpond. I will check into that. Thanks.

• thull
    11 years ago

Auggie1020- looks like they're proposing heat pumps with the 80% furnace as the backup for a dual fuel system. This is what we have and are happy with in ATL (Rheem/Ruud). Our furnace is in the attic, so it would've been more complicated to go with a higher-efficiency unit for the furnace b/c of dealing with the condensate in winter.

I would want to have them give you an idea of where they think the balance point for the systems will be. That'll help you get a better idea of how much the gas will run. Since we don't get tons of super cold (winter before last excepted), having that as low as you can will minimize how much you have to spend on gas on top of the winter electric bill.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I own a Trane XL14 (replaced by the XL15) 2.5ton HP unit.

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have decided to spend the extra money for a 21 seer unit and 97% furnace. Can anyone comment on the following model numbers? The first model number is for the upstair 4 ton unit and the one on the right is for the 3 ton downstairs unit. Many thanks. BRYANT Evolution EXTREME Series comfort system Evolution variable speed condenser/ heat pump 280ANV048/ 280ANV036
    Evolution variable speed modulating 97% afue gas furnace 987MA426017/987MA60100V21
    High efficiency evaporator coil
    CNPVP061/CNPVP037
    BRYANT EVOLUTION 7 day digital programmable thermostats Evolution electronic zoning for upper level
    PURON Environmentally safe refrigerant

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

Absolutely overkill considering location and its relatively mild winters.

The GreenSpeed/Extreme HP is best suited for locations with hard winters and those that have no access to nat gas and usually dependent on oil or propane heat.

Just curious. What is dealer charging for this bad boy?

You should be looking at a high eff furnace with straight AC or an 80% eff furnace paired with high eff heat pump.

Ask yourself thisvquestion. How often do you think you will use the modulating furnace in the system configuration? I know the answer. Do you?

Just trying to make you think about this decision as well as save you some bucks.

IMO

• neohioheatpump
    11 years ago

I would go with option 2 with the 15.5 seer heatpumps and 80% furnace. This is a plenty nice setup with very good efficiency. PRice is pretty good too for a dual system and for having 2 systems at $10,800. Going to a more expensive system is unnecessary since this one is so nice in my opinion. You will rarely need the gas but its nice you have it. 80% efficiency gas furnace is fine since its rarely used. That high efficiency heat pump will be used alot and is very efficient on A/C side and heating side for the majority of you needs.

• Rob F.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I'm sorry to report that I went ahead with the 21 SEER HP and 97% furnaces and it has not worked out. I wish I had seen Tigerdune's post before buying but I got injured and had to have surgery so was not in shape to be checking posts etc. In any case, tt seems that the company that installed the systems cannot get the zoning to work correctly (too much barometric pressure/air to the smaller zones and the heat does not work variably). To fix this, they installed manual bipass dampers and disabled most of the zoning dampers. It is a true mess. I think the company that sold me the units just does not have the expertise and training to properly install and maintain this type of high-end system. Just thought I would pass along my sad story so no one else falls into this trap. PS I am going to start a new post to see if anyone can offer advice on how to do damage control on this. Thanks.