Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on filter size

Posted by virginia16 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 20:42

On the infinity carrier system, the quote includes "installing a properly sized 1" filter slot." There is also the option to install the aprilaire 2210 media style air cleaner for $495. I don't know that we need the air cleaner. Should I inquire about price for a 4" media cabinet? Is the filtration better with the 4" or is the benefit just that you do not have to change the filter as frequently as the 1"? In the past we have used the highest rated filtrete filters and changed them monthly, just as a precaution for our daughter who has mild allergies (she has been fine in our house). Just trying to figure out if the cabinet/larger filter is more for convenience or if it is actually a better filter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on filter size

The 4 inch filter is better because it has more surface area. The larger area decreases the resistance to the air flow. The 4 inch cabinet is a three sided box with a door in the front. It should add much cost to the installation. I recommend getting it if can be made to fit.

The 4 inch filters are more expensive, but you should go 6 - 12 months between filter changes. The Filtrete filters are very restrictive.

o
RE: Question on filter size

Virginia

How many returns do you have for basement and main floor?

And just to be clear, the AprilAire mdl 2210 is filter media cabinet that is normally attached to the return side of the furnace.

The up charge to go to a 95% eff Infinity furnace is absolutely absurd. Makes me wonder about this dealer. Have you considered getting another dealer involved in the quoting process?

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: AprilAire Whole House Media Filter Cabinet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here