Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Tigerdunes (or others)

lascatx
10 years ago

I have read several places where you have said you thought Rheem was underrated in residential AC, but you don't care for the AJM series. That is what I have been quoted (4AJM60A01, if I wrote it down correctly), so I would like to know why.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I don't care for low end models of any brand including Rheem. I believe the value series is made South of the Border. May not make a difference to you.
    I would move up to Rheem's classic series and weigh the cost difference and warranty to the 14AJM series.

Overall though, Rheem is an often overlooked and underrated brand in the residential market. And just so you know, Rudd is their sister company.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Rheem Classic Series

• lascatx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He told me it was the classic series, not the value series, so maybe he had the wrong number in mind.

Edited to remove the garbage that comes out when your head is spinning. It was a rough week of constantly changing information and misinformation. We got through it, bought a $300 portable air conditioner and made it through 109 temps last weekend and have made a decision not to out good money after bad even if Amana did give us something.

This post was edited by lascatx on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:45

• lascatx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are going to celebrate Independence from Amana Day and have a new Carrier Infinity system put in. Seems like Houston is the perfect climate for a two stage system to make sense and the dealer invited us to his house on a Sunday to see it in operation. When you meet the right match of quality people, service and good equipment, it all clicks. My head is no longer spinning.

We'll deal with Amana later.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

What exactly are you purchasing?

• lascatx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are doing the complete Infinity 17 system -- condenser, coil, furnace, media filters and touch controllers.

DH said he was done with this mess of a system -- and he's not even the one who is home in the hot house or dealing with all the different people telling you different things. He wasn't even in the country most of last week. Anyway, we decided to do them both and get a clean start rather than putting bandaids on ulcers. The upstairs unit has had more issues and could go with the next heat wave. I'm already out $1000 on repairs this week -- don't remember what I paid to have the last compressor replaced, the coil in the upstairs unit before that or several other calls. If we replace piecemeal, we may get chicken nuggets -- never the same as starting fresh. Time to get over the shock and cut our losses. If we are going to spend this kind of money, we might as well get rid of all the garbage and get everything balanced and operating together the way they were designed to work best.

I was afraid to look at the Infinity because I was already in shock over replacing a unit I thought had been repaired the day before. The Infinity is running us less than $3000 more total for both of the units than the Performance (24ACC6). and not a lot more than that above the cheapest thing we were quoted and wouldn't buy. I was pleasantly surprised. And the company checks out every which way too.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Do you have a quote listing all model numbers and the work which will be performed? How was the size of the equipment determined? How does the size compare with what you currently have?

The Carrier Infinity is a great system. You want to be sure it is sized and installed correctly by a qualified HVAC contractor. A poorly installed system will always have problems. You want to avoid this.

Ask the contractor if he can offer you the Carrier 10 year labor warranty. You will be covered for the next 10 years for all parts and labor.

• lascatx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before you read this, know that we acknowledge we are backing into things. For discussion (we were at HIS house -- I said it was backwards) he pulled up our property records and had the zoned square footage. His house is about the same size. He also did a house across the street a couple of weeks ago and is familiar with the homes and construction. He knows what we have, but asked us some questions for more. This was all to get a proposal that he felt pretty confident would be sized correctly so he could get us in with the expiring rebate yesterday. We have a time for him to come out here and do it the right way before the installation,

We thought our downstairs unit might be oversized, but he says it is probably right on the money, especially with the vaulted ceilings in a room with a wall of western exposure windows. Everyone has agreed that the system needs an additional air return. I think we have a 3-1/2 ton upstairs now and I understand the Infinity has to be either a 3 or 4 -- no half sizes. He is thinking the three should be right, but has given me the price swing for a 4 ton at less that $300 so there will be no surprises there.

The company does not use subcontractors -- only their own employees who are Carrier trained and NATE certified, have top ratings in Angie's List, Carrier's President's Award (which I realize could be based on sales more than service -- I don't know), and have been voted best in our community four years in a row. They provide 2 years labor warranty standard instead of the typical one.

I did inquire about the 10 year labor warranty. After the Amana fiasco I would love some peace of mind. I am now being told that Carrier has gone to a third party warranty program. Is that right?

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks