Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20156490

New AC questions

User
10 years ago

My 1999 installed AC is having issues. I have a slow dripping leak in the coil drain pan. Service tech verified. I'm catching water in a plastic bin as it accumulates so I have a little time to make my decisions.

1982 home has 1825 sq ft., 8ft ceilings except LR with 12ft vault. We have 6-8 inches attic insulation but orig d/p windows. My system has r22 - HS27 Lennox 3T-Elite 14 AC on a Lennox G24m - 80 afue furnace using an Aspen coil. Tech gave us his options and quotes and I've made a few more calls out for more bids.

So far options are replace just the evaporator coil or both evaporator and outside unit or replace with a new system. Since we're on year 14 I'm favoring a new system but have a few questions about the options/quotes I've gotten. and I'm looking for ideas.

We have always felt our current AC is undersized for the house. City rebates during last purchase dictated the 3T size. (they did an audit and we were allowed only a 3T size by city audit law) We work at home now so afternoon/evening heat is more of an issue. I think it can't keep 2-3 months out of the year. 2 years ago we had 90 days over 100.

I'm thinking of 3 brands: Am Std, Trane, or Rheem as they seem to be found at many dealers here in Austin. I'd like variable speed to accommodate some of the humidity here but most AC companies don't have 3.5 ton options with variable blower speed. I've gotten quotes for 3.5T systems with 14, 15, and 16 Seer options. The few that have variable speed are either 3T or 4T.

My best value calculation (Cost/120 (monthly) + monthly elec use) rand them as follows.
1. Rhm 3.0T 16seer 2 stage AC (value line)
2. Rhm 4.0T 14.5seer 2 stage AC (value line)
3. AmSt 3.5T 16seer 1 stage
4. AmSt 3.5T 14seer 1 stage
5. Trane 3.5T 15seer dual speed fan XB14 AC, XV80 furn, Trane coil

I'm looking for recommendations, thoughts, & suggestions. I'm pretty confident of the installers but still checking them out and waiting for 3 more bids. Long post hoping for help.

Thanks for your input.
Doug in ATX

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

I would want to see all model numbers including outside condenser, evap coil, furnace, thermostat etc.

#5 is a nice system, exact same available from sister company AmStd. For that furnace, you want a true two stage thermostat for best operation. I would want a pleated filter media cabinet. If going up in size, ductwork should be checked to see if it can handle the extra CFMs both supply and return.

IMO

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply...

RE: "For that furnace, you want a true two stage thermostat for best operation."

Would that be something like the XL803? His bid listed another tstat, tcont802 Digital.

Bid #3 and #5 are my two preferred systems. Both are in the middle of the range of bids I've gotten. I'm waiting for the model #s on #3. I think its the Silver XI (AmStd 14)

Does system #5 offer a big advantage over #3? It's about $1000 more for the Trane vs AmStd.

Thx
    Doug in ATX

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Nothing wrong with AmStd. I would like to see all details of quotes #3 and #4 including all model numbers. Trane and AmStd furnaces are the same from model to model and can be true as well with outside condensers.

And no, you would want the HW VP IAQ stat over either the 802 or 803 stat.

Post back.

IMO

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I would post model numbers on three systems we're going to select from to get last impressions. City rebate: $450 on #1 & #2 and $350 on #3.

In bid #3, I like the idea of a variable speed furnace and blower. It's also the lower price. More specifics are listed in the bid (new pad, new drain line, drain sensor safety switch, filter base, platform as needed etc.) Do you see any issues with any of these systems? I think bid 2 is a wider unit so it's a little tighter in the closet. (bigger coil to achieve 16 seer)

1. 16 SEER Am Std Gold Series AC ($50 over bid #3)
    Cond: 417a5042e1000 with matched AS coil and
    Furn: AUD1C080AH9 furnace

2. 16 SEER Trane XR15 ($734 higher than bid #3)
    AC 4TTR5042E1000A with Coil 4TXCD050BC3HCA
    Furnace: TUD1C080A9H41B
    Tstat: TCONT800AS11AA

3. 15 SEER Trane XR15 lowest price by $50
    Cond: 4TTR5042E1000A
    Coil: 4TXCC044BC3HCA
    Furn: TUD2C080A9V4VB
    Tstat:new digital or programmable (not specified)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths