Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mallens

Looking for feedback on quotes

mallens
9 years ago

All,

I recently looked into changing out my oil fired furnace with LP condensing boiler but found that the biggest hurdle is adding a propane tank to my property, too many obstacles.

I have been actively pursuing switch my two ac units for heat pumps and creating a split system with the oil and heat pumps.

My house is in MA, about 4,800 sq ft, both AC units are 10 plus years old and are 3 ton units. Here is the quotes I received and would like to get some feedback on the amounts. The reason I am going with the higher end units is due to some special programs that are available that could reduce the price significantly enough to cost the same as less expensive and efficient equipment.

Quote 1

2 HYDRONIC SLAB COILS 75MBH
2 CARRIER FE4ANF003000 VARIABLE SPEED AIRHANDLER R410A 36,000 btu
2 CARRIER INFINITY CONTROLLER WITH WIFI 0 0
2 CARRIER 25VNA036A003 GREENSPEED HEATPUMP 21 seer 36000 btu

Price $29,385

Quote 2

2 LENNOX CBX340UHV-036-230 VARIABLE SPEED AIRHANDLER
2 LENNOX ICOMFORT WIFI CONTROLLERS
2 LENNOX XP25-036-230 VARIABLE SPEED HEATPUMP

Price $26,385

Quote 3
Supply and Install two High Efficiency Bryant Evolution Extreme Heat Pump/Condensers and Air Handlers to
supply Air Conditioning and a secondary Heating Source for 2 zones of house.
(2) 3.0 Ton Bryant's Evolution� Extreme Series 20.5 SEER Heat Pump with Puron� Refrigerant, Model#
280ANV036000.
(2) 3.0 Ton FE4 Communicating Puron Fan Coil Model# FE4ANB005T00
(2) Thermostat SYSTXBBECW01
(2) Hydronic Coils
Price $24,980

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice you contribute.

M

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

The Carrier and Bryant are identical equipment with their low temp GreenSpeed/Extreme HPs. Installers should be specially certified installing these systems.

What size heat strips? 10 KW?

On the Carrier and Bryant, you want the 005L size air handler for the better efficiency. L for aluminum coil. See below.

6938465 Active Systems CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING INFINITY SERIES HP WITH GREENSPEED INTELLIGENCE CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25VNA036A**30 FE4AN(B,F)005L+UI 1200 875 705 35000 14.00 20.00 33400 12.00 31000 1 HRCU-A-CB 217 579 Yes

With either the Bryant or Carrier system, you would see some very measurable payback versus oil fired boiler. What is cost of electric/KWH and cost of oil/gal? I assume boiler is 80% efficient.

IMO

This post was edited by tigerdunes on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 6:43

• mallens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Based on the ratings of the air handlers that I have now, I would suspect that they are 15kw heat strips if my calculations are correct but I will ask. Both air handlers I have now have 51,000 btus heaters.

I understand that both the Carrier and Bryant units more efficient and effective at heating in the winter and can operate at lower temperatures than the lenox, that is an important factor in my decision making process.

All quotes are from reputable companies and their installers are trained for the equipment they offer.

I am still waiting for the Trane dealer to get back to me.

Do these quotes seem reasonable?

Thanks

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

If 15 KW, you want to make certain they are wired staged, probably two 7.5 KW or 10/5 KW for each system. Not having them staged would be a mistake.

You have heat strips now for existing AC systems? Why? For backup?

What kind of filter protection for your return air? I would want filter cabinets at air handlers.

I wouldn't consider the Lennox. You are getting very good pricing on the Bryant systems. You do want to verify that Bryant installers have attended the low temp HP class. Can't emphasize this enough. I would want references and go visit one of their low temp installs.

With these low temp heat pumps, you are purchasing the heating efficiency. You will not get that with Trane or Lennox.

IMO

• mallens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice on the heat strips.

My set up right now is oil heat and two 3 ton ac units (one is 10 seer the other is 13 seer -both concord) the air handlers have heat exchangers that use hot water - it is circulated from the boiler. Both air handlers run on 220v. The bryants can use the boiler for heating or I could use electric heat strips.
    Which one makes the most sense?

I will still have my oil for heating hot water and heating my radiant floors (kitchen, family rm, master bath, garage). The hot water heater is hydronic - triangle tube - 80 gallon - 2 years old.

Going with the Bryant makes sense. I will ask the contractor the questions about HP class and seeing if I can visit one of their installs.

I have an aprillaire model 5000 on both return air supplies and they will stay.

Thanks tigerdunes

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996