Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A/C went...many quotes...need some opinions

Posted by jreich (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 19:56

My 15 yr. old Trane A/C went. Looks like a coil issue. It's a 3 ton compressor with a 3.5 ton coil 10 SEER. My Trane furnace (90%) is fine so I'm up in the air about replacing it at the same time as the A/C. I'm on a tight budget so I've settled on a 13/14 SEER unit and nothing more. The payback on anything else just doesn't make sense at this time. I'm also up in the air about a two-stage unit. Seems like it's not necessary and possibly not worth the cost (based on my reading). I'm leaning towards a new Trane unit. I had minimal repairs over the 15 years and it seems as reliable as anything else out there. I know installation is important. My region is the North East (Philly area) so we get four seasons. 2,400 sq. ft. (not counting finished basement), two story house with southern exposure. I have the following quotes I'd like some help with:

QUOTE 1 Model Size Coil SEER Price
Option 1: Lennox XC13 3.5 Ton 4 Ton coil 13 $4,550.00
Option 2: Lennox XC13/G61V $8,050.00
Option 3: Lennox XC16 4 Ton 4 Ton coil 15 $5,750.00 2-stage
Option 4: Lennox XC16/G61V 15 $9,250.00 2-stage

Additional: Lennox 12 year parts and labor = $550.00

QUOTE 2
Option 1 Amana 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 13 $4,290.00 single stage
Option 2 Amana A/C & Furnace 95% $6,193.00 single stage
Option 3 Amana 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 14 $5,186.00 single stage
Option 4 Amana A/C & Furnace 95% $8,479.00 single stage

QUOTE 3
Option 1 Trane XB13 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 13 $4,200.00
Option 2 Trane XL15i 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 15 $5,070.00

QUOTE 3
Option 1 Lennox XC14 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 14 $7,511.00
Option 2 Goodman 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 13 $5,385.00
Option 3 Trane XR13 3.5 Ton 4 Ton 13 $8,894.00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A/C went...many quotes...need some opinions

jreich

unless your current furnace has a var speed blower, you would be wasting your time and resources purchasing anything above a 13-14 SEER AC/evap coil unless you plan to update furnace as well.

IMO

o
RE: A/C went...many quotes...need some opinions

SO many things to consider; jreich is right about your furnace/air handler fan needing to be adequately sized with the variable speed blower to really gettin any use out of a higher efficiency unit. This site has a bunch of good information you shuold consider.

Good Luck!
Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here