Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3rd floor of CAC hot is always hot...window unit the answer?

Posted by melissastar (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 19:48

My three story city rowhouse (think large, old and leaky) has two CAC high velocity systems that were installed by the previous owner. The larger system cools the first two floors and seems to do so adequately. The smaller system cools only the top floor and it's always hot up there (never seen it below 83 degrees, even when the CAC has been running full time and set at a lower temp for hours and hours and hours.

It has been serviced and the filter is regularly changed. The CAC guys say there's nothing wrong with it.

I am wondering if between the hot air rising to the top of the house and the heat pounding down on the flat black roof above, it simply can't keep up. Since most of time there's no one up there, I am wondering if a practical solution would be to simply turn the system off and put a small window unit in my son's bedroom that he can turn on and off as needed.

Is there any reason to worry that the result would be to overtax the main system cooling the first two floors? Or anything I'm not considering here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3rd floor of CAC hot is always hot...window unit the answer?

Anytime you shut off an area, you have to worry about humidity. Normally you might just cut the stat to 83 or something like that but you effectively have done that.

You won't necessarily tax the lower system - you could try it and see if it can't keep the temp low.

The best answer is to seal and insulate the attic better. You'll save a lot of money and the upstairs may get comfortable for less than the cost of an inefficient window unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here