Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rault85

AC not cooling during day

Rault85
12 years ago

My AC is not cooling during the day. We have always kept the temp set to 72 in the summer, but this year we are lucky if it stays below 85 during the day. It runs constantly, but doesnt cool. We've had it checked by 2 different companies and both said there wasn't a leak in the freon and that there is nothing wrong with the unit. We've also had all the windows in the house tinted with that energy saving film but its not helping. Our electricity bill is enormous and I don't know what else to do. Help! :-(

-Baking in Texas

Comments (8)

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

Something obviously is not correct if your AC has always been able to maintain an inside temp in the low to mid 70s.

Before I suggest another dealer , take a temperature reading from several of your inside supply vents. You will need a digital thermometer that can be found at any of the big box stores.

I will assume ductwork has been checked, evap coil has been checked, filter has been changed out, compressor at condenser is running.

Sorry for your trouble.

Post back.

IMO

• Rault85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I havent been able to check the temp yet but we did check the duct work and it was fine. The inside and outside coils were clean as well. Im dumbfounded!

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

get that temp checked. this may be a process of elimination. you are certain compressor at outside condenser is running?

IMO

• Rault85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, its running

• kalining
    12 years ago

Yes it could be running but is it doing anything ? What are
    your pressures ? Does the compressor pump down ? This is not for the DIYer.

• bobpratt
    12 years ago

We had the above symptions on our new replacement system. The installer insisted that the intake duct was too small (thou it had worked for 18 years). Two other contractors insisted that the TXV valve had to be replaced under warranty but $500 labor. Finally a 3nd inspector found that a piece on duct insulation was blocking 2/3 of the airflow. He had it fixed in 15 minutes !!! Runs great !!

• Rault85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this, been a busy week.

Had two more AC guys come out this week just to tell me everything was fine. it was 107 a few days ago and with the AC set to 72, the temp got up to 91.

I am not a DIYer and was not intending to do anything myself. I am looking for another perspective as Im tired of paying people to tell me that nothing is wrong with my AC.
    I did check the "fan" thing but it is set to cool.
    The last guy we had come out said that numbers wise, everything was fine but obviously something is amiss/ He said the coils, inside and out, are clean.. the duct work was fine, the unit outside was running fine.. he was dumbfounded.

• tigerdunes
    12 years ago

andi

sorry for your trouble but this forum thread is going nowhere and you are not helping.

what size is your home?

your location?

size of your AC?

I asked you to take a couple of supply readings but have yet to see this information.

can't help if you don't help.

IMO

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm