Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_p_gw

Central Florida -- AC or Heat Pump ?!?

joe_p
15 years ago

I am confused.

I always thought that a Heat Pump was a no-brainer in the southern states due to efficiency. I am in central Florida and need to replace a very old system that is an AC unit with electric heat strips.

We have very little heating needs here, and some men have told me that a Heat Pump is very complex compared to an AC unit and that I would be better off just getting the most efficient AC unit possible with electric furnace.

Anyone with an opinion on that? It can cost $900 just to replace a reversing valve in this town and I will only save about $1.35 per day (average over 90 days of heating) which means that I can save about $121.50 a year with a heat pump at today's prices according to my electric supplier's web p[age. (OUC)

The wife says go AC unit not heat pump. Will I be sorry?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

Go with a heat pump. I too am in cent FL (DeLand) and a heat pump is far and away the best way to heat even with the minimal season we have here. Be sure to include a heat recovery unit to provide free hot water. The addition of a HRU will boost total system efficiency (HVAC & water heating)to somewhere around a SEER 20-22 rating and lower your electric bill $30 to $50 dollars a month. It also allows you to save money buying a much less costly SEER 13 system and still get the SEER 20 or so advantage.

• joe_p
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just put in a new hot water heater a couple of years ago with one of those computers on top of it. Would that unit go off to the dump with a hot water recovery heat pump?

And still, in DeLand or in Orlando is seems that the cost to run an AC/electric-furnace is not much more per year than with a heat pump due to it being so hot here. My experience over the decades with heat pumps is that they take a lot more service calls than AC units. Ah, but I have no real proof of that == hence, I am still confused.

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

Your water heater becomes a storage tank for the hot water...it's element just won't be going on very much. I've had very little problems over the years with AC equipment. My experience is that the most common problems are condenser fans and motor starting capacitors. I'm sure there's a considerable difference in operating cost even here in cent Fl between a reverse cycle and heat strips. The compressor draws about 2200 watts as opposed to 7500-10000 watts for the heat strips. Maybe heat pumps used to be problematic years ago but my experience especially over the last 20 years is that they don't fail much more often than an AC unit. The reversing valves are especially reliable now.

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

My email is garymunson@cfl.rr.com. I'd be glad to put you in contact with my AC guy. It's hard to find an honest one...he's one of them....He'll give you straight answers whether you decide to do business with him or not.