Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_2012

Trane vs Lennox Proposals to Replace HVAC

Lou_2012
10 years ago

Could use some assistance in evaluating proposals to replace 19 yr old HCVAC unit - Charlotte.

Home built in 1994. Heated space: 2048 sq ft. Approximate haff with 10 ft ceilings.

Builder installed 3 ý ton ComfortMaker AC & gas furnace

One service call on furnace to replace burned out igniter.

At about67 yrs AC fan motor burned out and was replaced. (Seems motor did not have sealed bearings)

In 2010, AC failed. Ants packed dirt and mud in relay. Cleaned and everything OK since.

Less than $600 spent on unit during life. Of six homes on Cul-de-Sac, others have had rebuilds with major component replacement or have failed and been replaced.

Operating costs:
12 months ending May 2013: $2,371.17. ($1355 Electric and $1015 gas.) Do not have rate schedules from utilities, but billing costs including taxes was $0.11 per KWH 4/15 �" 5/16 and $1.20 per Therm 3/31 �" 5/01.

1 week ago unit lost all Freon and froze. Quoted $150/lb to charge.

Two Proposals for Heat Pump w/Gas Furnace emergency heat (3 ý Ton Units)

TRANE
4TWB4042E1000A TRANE XB 14 SPLIT HEAT PUMP
TUD2C100B9V5VB 100000 BTU XV80 TRANE VARIABLE SPEED FURNACE
VISIONPRO IAQ 8000
4TXCC049BC3HCA 4 TON TRANE R-410A CONVERTIBLE CASED COIL
RETURN PLENUM New Plenum Install
FEILD FABRICATED METAL DUCT TRANSITION FOR FURNACE/A.H TO COIL OR EXISTING DUCT
36x36 CONDENSER PAD
Total Cost: $ $9,796.38 (Heat Pump alone keeping existing furnace: $5.773
Time to install: 3 business days.

LENNOX
Heat Pump XP14-042-230
Gas Furnace SL280UH090V48B
Coil CH33-43B
Honeywell 8000 IAQ Thermostat
Total Cost: $8250 less $200 Duke rebate, $300 Lennox rebate and $350 tax credit.

(Lennox dealer also offered to charge system at no additional cost in attempt to weather the time to install �" about 5 business days.)

Trane would be my preferred brand. Reading this forum, there are definitely negative vibes for Lennox. However, bottom line pricing made me pause!

What do you think?

Comments (4)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

Not a fan of Lennox especially their heat pumps.

Just playing devil's advocate, any reason not going 95%+ eff furnace and forgetting the heat pump?

Trane dealer is oversizing you on the furnace. Have you asked for a load calculation for correct sizing?

Trane dealer is overpricing you. I would suggest getting a price from sister company dealer, Am Standard. Same furnace with Heritage 15 HP.

I would want to see specific model numbers on the HW stats. Both Trane and Lennox furnaces quoted require true two stage thermostats for best operation.

IMO

• ryanhughes
    10 years ago

Both are good systems and reliable equipment. Personally I do favor and strongly recommend Trane equipment. Your bigger issues are finding the right installer and getting a load calc performed to determine sizing. I think 3.5 tons is definitely conservative for your climate but am more concerned about the quote for a 100k input furnace (Trane). Trane does in fact make an 80k furnace with a 4 ton blower that I am quite sure (confirmed by a load calc) would be more than enough to make your home comfortable all winter. Really no excuse to oversize furnaces for marginal efficiency gains that may or may not be realized taking into account the other losses/consequences of oversized equipment.

The XB14 is a fine unit, very much like the XR15 with less sound deadening features and a different cabinet. If cost difference is not much more I would probably go with the XR to get the compressor sound blanket and slightly nicer cabinet. Would be more similar to the Lennox XP14 in terms of sound. But neither the XB14, XR15, or XP14 are loud units at all in my opinion.

The IAQ is a great thermostat. Model number is YTH9421. Your contract lists an "8000 IAQ" -- this is ambiguous and misleading. I would want the IAQ set up for dehumidify on demand.

By the way: new lineset or 4-5" filter included?

• Lou_2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tigerdunes - Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 19:40
    Not a fan of Lennox especially their heat pumps.
    Just playing devil's advocate, any reason not going 95%+ eff furnace and forgetting the heat pump?

Reply: Lennox said over spec for this application. Trane said too many issues with drainage in un-insulated attic

Trane dealer is oversizing you on the furnace. Have you asked for a load calculation for correct sizing?

Reply: Trane rep was here for 2 ý hrs! Over 1 hr was measuring and counting (windows, heat registers etc) entering data in computer: His conclusion was 3 ý ton ACâ¦..

Trane dealer is overpricing you. I would suggest getting a price from sister company dealer, Am Standard. Same furnace with Heritage 15 HP.

Reply: Lennox dealer is also a dealer for Am Standard. Will ask him for quote. Is this the HP you suggest I consider?
    http://www.americanstandardair.com/products/pages/productdetail.aspx?prod=hp03

I would want to see specific model numbers on the HW stats. Both Trane and Lennox furnaces quoted require true two stage thermostats for best operation.

Reply: The HW:
    http://cleanairsystemsinc.net/products/VisionPRO-IAQ.html?gclid=CPmctrC8yLcCFWVo7AodAhYAsA

Hope this posts OK and is readable! Thanks Tigerdunes for your reply!

• Lou_2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ryan:

Thanks for your input. Load calc and sizing seems to be a rather complex issue! The old unit is a 3 1/2 ton AC and I think only a 70000BTU furnace (can not locate papers, if I ever had any). It labors on those 90 + days we always get in July and August, and runs also continuously on those consecutive below 30 days we sometimes get in Jan and Feb.

Based on experience of a friend and neighbor, a majority of the heating season would be covered by the heat pump. Only the nastiest of days/nights in Jan, Feb would put a high demand on the furnace. I too was surprised by the 100T recommendation. And, the furnace specified is not on the Trane site?????

Replacement line set is included with both systems.

No mention of filter in proposals...........

Thanks again!