Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to warm up 10 degrees?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 19:13

How long should it take for a properly sized (not over) gas furnace to warm up my house by 10 degrees? Seem to take quite a while.

Thanks,
Gary A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to warm up 10 degrees?

Too many variables here. At what outside temp? How is furnace sized to load? What type of furnace? The fact is condensing furnaces (high eff mdls) would take longer than non-condensing 80% eff mdls.

not trying to dodge your question.

IMO

o

Let's say that the outside, and inside, temperature is 60, and I want to turn on the furnace and warm up the house to 70.

As I said, properly sized, not over.

Simple 80% downdraft furnace in a closet, unheated attic return, unheated crawlspace supply ducts.

Yes, I know there are lots of variables, which would certainly include the thermal mass of the building, and would certainly increase for colder temperatures, but I'm just looking for what would be considered acceptable for most.

The present system is adequate on the coldest nights, but barely so if it is also windy. I'm improving that with infiltration, insulation and duct work. The performance matches pretty well with my load calculations.

Thanks,
Gary

o

attofared

as quick as 15-30 minutes. supply temp should be at least 110 degrees.

IMO

o

Seems like an easy calc to make based on sq footage and furnace size. I was doing some math and my basement would heat up 10 degrees in about 10 minutes but that was probably 2x oversized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here