Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far can I run hoses to condenser?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 19:07

I'm doing a massive remodel, and replacing my furnace and ducts at the same time. I'm also adding A/C, and choosing a place to set the outdoor unit for a 5 ton system.

The closest/logical spot would violate side yard property line setback requirements, although I may be able to get a deviation.

How far can I run the hoses? Does performance suffer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far can I run hoses to condenser?

Generally speaking, linesets (the refrigerant lines) should be under 50 feet for best performance.

If longer lines are used, then additional refrigeration specialty items may be needed such as suction line accumulators, TXVs, crankcase heaters, and low ambient kits. Also the longer lines will need to hold a larger amount of refrigerant, which adds some expense.

The vertical refrigerant flow must be accounted for as well, as forcing the flow uphill adds "work" to the system.

And for heat pumps, due to reversing, the max manufacturer-recommended (read: they will honor the compressor warranty) lineset length is 75 equivalent feet.

o

Thanks for the answer.

My best/shortest run is in the range of about 48 to 55 feet. If I can't put it there, I'm looking at about 75 feet, or maybe somewhere less aesthetically pleasing. Total rise to the coil connection is maybe 6 feet (ground floor closet install). Not a heat pump.

o

That's not too bad. I suggest using an experienced dealer, and make it clear that you don't want to skimp, and want them to verify the proper line size (sometimes different sizes are needed) and specialty items recommended by the manufacturer or distributor. If they know you understand that protecting the compressor may add a few hundred dollars to your cost, but that you are OK with that, then they will feel more comfortable getting you the best designed system.

o

The condenser installation manual should have tables of line set size and length.

You may have some loss of capacity even with a larger line set.

Larger (or longer) lines will often also require additional refrigerant be added to the system at installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heating & Air Conditioning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here